Decals/Gloss?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sponge008

Reaction score
The rocket I am currently finishing up has self adhesive (look like stickers) decals. Is it better to apply them before or after gloss? Thanks for the help.

Pretty much all decals I've evercome across, whether water-slide, self-adhesive, or vinyl adhere better to a gloss surface.

Originally posted by hokkyokusei
Pretty much all decals I've evercome across, whether water-slide, self-adhesive, or vinyl adhere better to a gloss surface.

Agreed.

Sponge, if the rocket you are applying decals was painted with a flat paint then I would first apply the glossy clear. OR, if you used glossy paints I would apply the decals and go the <a href="https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9331&highlight=Future">Future Floor Polish</a> route. Future will futher help your decal be laminated to the rocket and may also prevent the self-stick from lifting away from the rocket if ever an edge catches the decal.

YES!

Gloss first! for any type of decals.

If you want a flat finish...do it AFTER the decals go on.

sandman

Another good tip for the self adhesive decals is to dip them in a saucer of water that has a drop of washing up liquid in it.

This allows them to slide around a little, like a water slide decal. I admit that when I first heard this I was a bit sceptical, but it works, and doesn't appear to have any detrimental effect on long term adhesion.

No, in fact it's a good idea to use something over the decals to sesal them in place. You need to check the compatibility though, some gloss coats will make some decals run.

Back