Decal question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemech

Reaction score
Many years ago decals had to be carefully cut from their sheet with just enough edging film left. "Enough" was defined by the builder. Now, the decals and the film are made in just the right size and set on the backing paper. You can tell what are not decals, e.g. sheet part numbers, by holding the sheet at the proper angle and letting the light reflect off the sheet. You can see the end of the edging of the decals in the reflected light. Non-decals have no such edging.
Yesterday morning I shot the final paint on a Der Red Max 0651. Tonight I got ready to apply the decals and noticed that one decal sheet has no film edging. Anywhere. They look the same as the part number and Estes logo. The other sheet looks normal. I'm not cutting anything until I know what's happening.
Is this a change in decal production methods? An error? My final brain cell giving up?
Ideas, please.

Mike

Last edited:
Right now, that decal sheet is one big decal. Trim as close to the design as you are comfortable with and apply as usual.

Thanks, Mike. It is a return to the old ways. Cut them out carefully and stick 'em on. Job done.

Mike

You have to remember to use "Set" first and then "Sol". Brush "Set" on the area where the decal is to be; place decal (already soften in water), then brush "Sol" on with a very soft brush. Let dry. Decal may wrinkle some but will flatten out as it drys. Works great. Been using both for over 30 years on plastic models.

Decal may wrinkle some but will flatten out as it drys.

True! The decals can look just awful (wrinkly, bubbled) during the process - fear not. They will flatten out beautifully.

I consider these two products essential tools for any water slide decal work I do. Can't say enough good things about them.

From
Christine Swartz

To
[email protected]

Hello,

Please see the note below from our marketing director.

Thank you,

Christine
Estes Customer Service

Sent: Friday, January 03, 2014 3:29 PM
To: Christine Swartz ([email protected])
Subject: RE: Contact us submitted

…Christine…on the sample kit I pulled off the wall, there are 2 decal sheets date coded 8/23/12. The smaller one has the decal film outlined as this consumer felt was normal. However, the larger decal sheet is a solid film that will require the consumer to cut the decal to the proper outline for application. This was a production change and likely to be seen on more rockets as we go forward.

Mike

End of problem.

Back