Cut yer hair-Cut the SLICK!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpaceAXEplorer

Reaction score
I know it's probably selfish sounding but check this out....

Last night I was asked again if I was going to be at the NEFAR launch in Florida.

I really-REALLY REALLY! wanted to be there, and so did Ms. Bunny...
BUT!...
Ms. Bunny and I only have one car.
Ms. Bunny is a hairdresser, and Saturday is just about the busiest day of the week! I, as a rule this time of year, work and am up nights. ALL NIGHT! (this makes driving distances earl in the morning a bit tough.)
Now normally, if requested, she could the day off so we could attend a model rocket launch, like NEFAR, SPACECOAST, ROCK, or other in Florida. They're all about 2 hours driving distance from us.

However... Due to the oil spill in the Gulf Of Mexico, her salon, (Great Clips), as well as many others are collecting all the hair that is cut to make 'soaker nets' or something or other to sop up the oil. Ths also means, Ms. Bunny is extremely busy, grouchy, and can't enjoy any hobbies!
This make life tough, because I'm taking up all the extra slack in our lives.. which also means no design time, and for my fellow Carded Rocket modelers:
NO NEW MODELS!- (from me)
So, please, PLEASE, if you know a salon participating in this, GET A HAIRCUT!
Not only will you save a whale, dolphin, uh whatever! If you like seafood, and fishing; Hey! It all helps!!!
AND! ....It'll help Bunny and I attend some rocketry club events!.
So go chop your hair! (Ms. Bunny already chopped mine!)

The quicker the spill is cleaned up, the quicker my life- uh, and Ms. Bunny's gets back to normal! :D

Uh---we hope. ???

GEEZ-LOUIZE It's tough to type sometimes!:caffeine:

Last edited:
You're on the Gulf Coast too? I'm in once lovely Pensacola, Florida.

As for the hair thing - i'm glad Ms. Bunny and the other salons are pitching in to help us deal with this horrific mess and that people are donating their hair to soak up the oil.

You have my thanks.

(Now if we could nab & shave the hair off of BP's staff....)

Just making a suggestion...

I've had long hair for many years, but I'm sick of it. It's long, frayed, and grayed now. I couldn't think of a better reason to give it up. Is that all Great Clips?

NO! :)

There's more salon's, but I only know the local ones. There may be more/others, (I hops so!), in your area. Here are a couple of articles from our local paper, the Gainsville Sun:

https://www.gainesville.com/article/20100513/articles/100519676
https://www.gainesville.com/article/20100528/ARTICLES/100529489

and, from the local if not ever popular Facebook: Great Clips of Gainsville's own page!:D
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gainesville-FL/Great-Clips-of-Gainesville/144913138006

Jordan I'm about 45min, (driving by roads), East of Cedar Key.
I couldn't agree with your comment more!
In WW-2, and before, heads of collaborators were shaved as a mark of shame.
I think now is a good time, to possibly re-write and throw away the stigma of that symbol, and turn it into an American iconic mark of trust and solidarity, for helping clean up the Gulf, just as others do the same to show their love with cancer patients.
I think all BP, trans Oceanic, govt Minerals.....blah blah blah- they all oughta have their heads shaved!
Ms. Bunny got me 2 weeks ago.:eyepop:

Even if the hair and nets clean up less than 1% of the mess..it's still a number greater than '0' ;)

btw- Bunny works at the Haile Plantation store ;) fyi..

Just read this as we were going for breakfast AND to get our hair cut at GREAT CLIPS!! I'll ask them about this at our clip joint:D

The cold-blooded lizards that run BP probably have scales instead of hair. So much for the sugar-white shores of Panama City Beach!

20 years ago I could have made a difference but now, shaving my head wouldn't produce more than a teaspoon full of hair. lol Have they closed P'cola pass yet?
oil was a mile off Navarre beach yesterday. tar balls seem to roll in much sooner. And they don't talk about the subsurface oil, or what's laying on the bottom. i fear our little corner of the gulf will be dead for many years.

Gary
Navarre/Ft Walton/Destin

The "Hair Cuttery" I recently got my hair cut at, in Northern Virginia; was participating in this program. Presumably, it's a corporate mandate and all the Hair Cuttery salons would be participating.

You can tell Ms Bunny and all of the hair salons to stop saving the clipped hair for soaking up the oil in the gulf. BP and the Coast Guard aren't going to use it since those hair booms sink once they have absorbed the oil making it impossible to remove to oil from the environment.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/nation/no-hair-boom-as-part-of-oil-spill-706050.html

Once more people read the latest info the rush to sacrifice hair for oil booms will stop. (Long hair clippings donations for cancer victims is still a good cause.) Maybe Ms Bunny will let you go fly some rockets.

BP and the Coast Guard aren't going to use it since those hair booms sink once they have absorbed the oil making it impossible to remove to oil from the environment.

The article you pasted still says smaller harbors are using them. Theres alot more folks other then BP, and the Coast Guard trying to clean up. Thank Goodness!

You can tell Ms Bunny and all of the hair salons to stop saving the clipped hair for soaking up the oil in the gulf.
Maybe Ms Bunny will let you go fly some rockets.

It's not 'me', It's 'WE'. We're a team.
and... 'WE' have the following comment on those comments:

GET-STUFFED! :jaw:

:cheers: I'll second that..

FYI- Lattest info from Bunny on the local Great CLips salons, are that they are storing the hair, and the customers know it, but folks are still coming in wanting to get cuts shorter than usual- Just in case their hair will get used. Several clients are also bringing in pet hair from brushing and such.
Seems folks just want to help in whatever way, even insignificanly they can.
just fyi :)

Eric:)

Back