Cut Glass Tube

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disaster_Guy

Reaction score
I am planning my next large project (finishing my shopping list) to be able to get 99% of everything in two orders. The build will be a Darkstar 4" DD but I want to use a switch band (not included in the kit). Before I email Tim to ask if he can just sell me one for it, I figure that I could potentially just cut 1-2" section off the airframe to make a switchband. Is it realistic to cut G12 tube with a hack saw? Just wondering if this is worth trying or if I am better off just having Tim cut me one and paying for it.

How accurately can you cut with a hack saw?

Some people are really good at straight cuts. Then there's me.

I'd have Tim do the cutting -- he's setup to do it, and you'll get a nice, clean cut.

-Kevin

Correct me if i am wrong, but couldn't you cut it with a masonry saw?

Thanks Kevin, that is kind of what I was leaning toward I just wanted to reality check it to make sure that I wasn't over-complicating it. I can do okay with straight cuts using a miter box but the more I think about it, I don't think that 4" tube will fit in my miter box.

I used my table saw to cut mine. Set the fence at the correct length. Roll the tube to the blade keeping it perpendicular. The rotate the tube 360. I just used a plywood blade, but the blades made for composites are a better choice. Otherwise, I'd use a dremel with a cut off wheel.

Power tools rule!

Disaster_Guy,

I've cut a lot of fiberglass tube using a power miter saw and a "toothless" diamond blade. Blade cost is $25. Perfect cuts every time. Just drop slow. If you don't own the saw you might use a hacksaw. Personal skill is the thing. Many cut against a metallic hose clamp to assure square.

Feckless

HACKSAW!!!! Its so easy, just make sure you have a square line , once around lightly to score the tube and the saw will follow the line. Works great. Dont spend the money to buy it from Tim, make your own!!

HACKSAW!!!! Its so easy, just make sure you have a square line , once around lightly to score the tube and the saw will follow the line. Works great. Dont spend the money to buy it from Tim, make your own!!
If you want the blade to last more than one cut, use a carbide grit blade.

What kinda blades are you using. I have never had to change the blade in my hacksaw. Still cuts steel and glass like it was new. You dont have to "saw" the blade when you cut glass. Just take your time, make a few passes and it will work out great. Tom, you must be cutting that carbon fiber huh? :point:

First time I tried to cut glass fins, I used a jigsaw with a wood blade...I got 1/2 inch in and the teeth were gone!! I switched to a metal cutting blade, and went thru like butter!!. NOTE, dont breath the dust!!

Back