Cub Scout Rocket Derby - Bad decisions by leaders

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just show them this picture….I’d hate to be taking a picture 2 feet away and catch one of those flaming balls in the head. Of course, I wouldn’t be 2 feet away taking pictures.

Launch.jpg

My 16 y/o son is a Life Scout (hopefully soon to be Eagle) so we've been in it awhile and the local Cub Scout Pack knows that I "do rockets", so they ask me to help every year. Mostly, I RSO before they assign the pads, because about 50% of the rockets aren't built correctly. A few years ago, a "wahoo" parent showed up with a piece of 3" PVC pipe that he had made into a bazooka, and started firing Vikings out of it nearly horizontally. I told him that this was a bad idea, explained the safety code, yada yada... didn't help. I left, and told the Pack leader why and that an accident could cost them their BSA charter. He wasn't back the next year. The moral of the story is that you need to talk to the right people, from a point of view that they understand.

I wonder if you could anonymously send a copy or the phamphlete listing the NAR safety guidelines directly to the Pack Leader/Troop Leader and those in charge of the event. With multiple copies sent to several individuals, perhaps one of those seeds would fall on fertile ground.:eyeroll:

I agree I strongly feel that safety rules are in place for a reason and to completely ignore them is just asking for trouble and then when someone does get hurt "rocketry" gets blamed for it. It always seems to work out that way. If people would just make the effort to abide by the rules less people would get hurt. It's suppose to be a fun activity and no one should get hurt. Dodging rockets is not my idea of fun.

Back