CTRA-NARCONN November 9th Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patelldp

Reaction score
Last launch of the year in Hurley, NY. Get out and burn up that AP left in your storage magazine, no sense in keeping it around all winter!

Waiver is 6,000', impulse limited to K's (L with prior approval).

Directions to the Field: https://ctranarconn.wordpress.com/directions/

AMW will not be on site, but you can call Robert no later than today in order to place an order that will be delivered to the launch site. Additionally, a representative will be delivering goods on site for Hangar 11, so get your order in with Bobby B.

I'll be launching a few old motors, including a Kosdon 38-390 I300F and 38-640 J450F before their certification lapses in June of next year. The I300F is going in my Lil Nuke Pro Maxx iwth an expected altitude of 3,500', and the J450F is going in my Intimidator 3 with an expected altitude of around 1,900'. If time permits, the Lil Nuke may go up again on a G64W with apogee deployment.

Hope to see you there, and be sure to dress warm!

Add my Formula 38 in the mix on a G40-7W. I am going to try gdjsky01's method for dual deployment via a cable cutter on this flight as I have never actually gotten it to work 100% correctly. Deployment via the motor delay at apogee, followed by the cable cutter releasing at 400' via the RRC3 beta unit in the cone. That's the plan, anyways!

So far the weather looks good. Here's hoping it holds.

Looks like it will be cable cutter day. :D Had the same thing in mind.

Threw this thing together as a test bed for cable cutter

attachment.php

If I send my membership from today I might be able to attend as well I'd only be flying my 2.6" scratch built on an G80-7

Put this together today...an adapter for my dad's old Public Enemy 4" Bull Pup. This allows the new RRC2+ to be subbed in for the old RRC2 without modifying his altimeter bay or sled.

This rocket last flew 4-5 years ago and has 12-15 flights over the years. It was his L2 when LDRS was in Geneseo in 2004 (that motor was one of the famed Ellis J350W's that CATO'd). He then successfully certed in Cobleskill.

It will be flying on the Kosdon J450F instead of my Intimidator. Should be a chip shot to about 1,200'.

image-3454366514.jpg

Another potential cable cutter candidate.

Hope to try my luck with Loki I316 for altimeter test. If successful go from there.

Fatboys 02.JPG

Another potential cable cutter candidate. Hope to try my luck with Loki I316 for altimeter test. If successful go from there.

Are all these rockets that you have posted 5.5"? I'd love to build a 5.5" Fat Boy some day!

Are all these rockets that you have posted 5.5"? I'd love to build a 5.5" Fat Boy some day!

yes
I started with a scratch build Fatboy, actually one on the right. Stretched a little to not need as much nose weight due to extra weight in rear end (central 38 with 2 outboard 29 ).
Had hoped to be finished for this weekend. Not finished with painting. If I'm going to plant it or lose it , like it to look good :lol:
Ended up picking the Polecat up from Chris. I'll use the Polecat NC for the scratchbilt, until pick up another NC some day.
The LOC tubing I had left over from the Fatboy scratch plus a 5.5 nose cone had laying around created the other one, which is now a lovely shade of purple :shock:

Had an outstanding time today! I managed to drag my dad out to a rocket launch for the first time since LDRS 28 in 2009! It was great to see everyone one last time before the winter hiatus, looking forward to next year!

We put up three flights. The first was my dad's Public Enemy 4" Bull Pup. This rocket was flown for my dad's Level 2 certification in Cobleskill, NY in 2004. After 15 (or so) flights and a 4 year break, it took to the skies today on a Kosdon 38-640 J450F. The rocket took off with a nice jolt, and then prematurely deployed a second or 2 after burnout due to a faulty RRC2. This altimeter is just as old as the rocket, and had performed admirably for almost a decade. It now appears it has an issue as it has deployed early the past 2 flights, so I think it's time to retire the unit and move on to the RRC2+. Final altitude was 780', with a perfect recovery about 20' from the pad that it took off of via a Skyangle 60" chute and free-bag system.

The second flight was my dad's ancient Big Bertha, which has been "slightly" modified. Again, a 10 year old rocket, and our first attempt at fiberglassing. The rocket has G10 fins and a 29mm motor mount, always great for a FAST flight. Today we put a G64-10W in it and it took off like a bat out of hell. The rocket deployed at apogee and began its return to earth. Somehow, my old man kept his eye on it the whole way and we had no issues recovering it.

The final flight was my Loc Lil Nuke Pro Maxx on a Kosdon 39-390 I300F. The rocket warped off the pad and everyone lost sight of it. Then, at about 500', we regained a visual on it, where the main failed to completely deploy. The frustrating part is that we saw it land, took our line, and then walked out to get it. 3 hours later, nothing. The field was covered in 12-18" tall grass that severely limited visibility on the ground. In other words, you'd have to be on top of the rocket to see it. Despite the fact that it was painted Hemi orange, we came back empty handed. My Raven II and 38-390 will sleep through the winter in Hurley, NY. Can't win them all...

Again, great launch with great people. Thank you all for a great 2013 flying season and see you again in March!

Dan,

Im going to go down tomorrow and give it a go & if needed maybe Monday.
Great watching your flights & meeting Dad.

Hemmed & hawed all day with cloud cover lower than I would liked. Later in day started to break up with sun peeking through.
Put 4" Darkstar on the table, said there is my L2 attempt. Wasn't going to do it, was getting late.
Everyone started busting my chops. Wind had died down , clouds breaking up.
Gave it a shot. K445 -- 4653' landed not far from where you had parked, everything in the same shape as it was b4 it went up.
Guess that's good, right :grin:

Dan,

Im going to go down tomorrow and give it a go & if needed maybe Monday.
Great watching your flights & meeting Dad.

Hemmed & hawed all day with cloud cover lower than I would liked. Later in day started to break up with sun peeking through.
Put 4" Darkstar on the table, said there is my L2 attempt. Wasn't going to do it, was getting late.
Everyone started busting my chops. Wind had died down , clouds breaking up.
Gave it a shot. K445 -- 4653' landed not far from where you had parked, everything in the same shape as it was b4 it went up.
Guess that's good, right :grin:

That was your L2? If so, CONGRATS! Now you have all winter to build more J-K-L capable rockets!

I really, really appreciate you going to look for it...maybe I need to move to that area so I can swing by the field whenever I want! I wish you luck, as I think that is what it's going to take. We'll settle on some repayment if it turns up :)

It was a sweet flight, short recovery. Lots of really good flights. The only question i have is did the yale team get their rocket back?

It was a sweet flight, short recovery. Lots of really good flights. The only question i have is did the yale team get their rocket back?

I was getting late, didn't have time for a long recovery :grin:
Yale team found their rocket in a tree in some ones back yard. Still working it on when we left.
Gave them number of tree service just in case.

Back