CTI Discussion Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob,

Could you enlighten me and perhaps others here if there is any rhyme or reason to the CTI warranty claim process? It appears some wait months, or even over a year for the replacement. While some get there replacement is a very short order.

I am asking because it has been over 6 months now since I filed my claim after a H54 CATO that destroyed my Pro29 3 grain case. It would have been nice to use my other 3 grain reloads this year. I filed my claim with Wildman, so I can't imagine you haven't shipped them anything since then and I don't feel a Pro29 3 grain case would be a rare commodity.

Any insight you may have on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

There are a few reasons why warranties take so long. The main one being we only send warranties to dealers not direct to the customers, and some dealers may only order from us once or twice a year. Occasionally a warranty doesn't get sent to us or it gets misplaced. Most times warranties are handled in a timely manner, and I've been trying to get all warranties out as soon as we can.
Wildman does order quite frequently, give me your name and I'll check on your warranty status.

Are HyperTek motors still being produced and sold or that line defunct?
Hi John.
We still carry and sell Hypertek motors, but mostly only to schools. We also don't sell the larger motors, just the smaller ones. And we don't sell the ground support equipment anymore. If you like I'll get a list together of what we still sell.
Bob.

Hi John.
We still carry and sell Hypertek motors, but mostly only to schools. We also don't sell the larger motors, just the smaller ones. And we don't sell the ground support equipment anymore. If you like I'll get a list together of what we still sell.
Bob.
That would be very helpful. I can mark the others as OOP.

More like "Approach 38 and 54mm 4+ grain motors with an awareness that additional cautionary prep steps are HIGHLY recommended by many users"

Clearly this is not a viable option as Justin ( Sorry man ) showed us with his failure last month . He added a O-ring and glued his bulkhead , and bang went the bottom .

Has anybody experienced an issue with the Pro38-1G case being a half inch too short for the reloads? I have a brand new 1G case that measures 4.0”, while the reloads are all 4.5” in length. Dimensional drawing also shows it as a 4.5 inch. I have notified the dealer and filled out warranty sheet, waiting for info.

edit: Im getting a warranty replacement from my dealer.

9AC3F75F-3E49-44A5-8554-544F299ED741.jpeg

Last edited:
I had an igniter failure on a 75/2G K661 this weekend, it lit and blew a huge orange flame out the bottom of the nozzle, pretty much melting the nozzle cap but not igniting the motor. Lots of char, though... I ended up taking it home to disassemble the motor and scrape the grains. Anybody else seen that with the CTI-provided pyrogen igniters? This one had plenty of pyrogen on it... I was pretty surprised when the motor didn't light.

I had an igniter failure on a 75/2G K661 this weekend, it lit and blew a huge orange flame out the bottom of the nozzle, pretty much melting the nozzle cap but not igniting the motor. Lots of char, though... I ended up taking it home to disassemble the motor and scrape the grains. Anybody else seen that with the CTI-provided pyrogen igniters? This one had plenty of pyrogen on it... I was pretty surprised when the motor didn't light.

You should have just stuck another ignitor in it. It sounds like the motor tried to light , chuffed once and went out.

There was so much carbon that I didn't want to try it again, plus the infamous Lucerne Valley wind started to kick up, and I decided that a scrub was the better option. There was no evidence of a chuff... the igniter just flamed out and didn't do anything.

So I am newer to TRF and just came across this thread, I have CTI 38mm 2, 3 and 6 grain casings(with spacers) and a number of H and I motors and one J motor...I saw a number of references to the date stamps on the reloads...is there a particular before date (or after date) that I should be specifically concerned about? Were there specific 38mm motors that are more likely to have issues?
Also, I am interested in more details about the "epoxy fix" that everyone is talking about...what is the actual procedure for this?
I do plan on getting a can of silicone spray to help mitigate any friction damage potential...

So I am newer to TRF and just came across this thread, I have CTI 38mm 2, 3 and 6 grain casings(with spacers) and a number of H and I motors and one J motor...I saw a number of references to the date stamps on the reloads...is there a particular before date (or after date) that I should be specifically concerned about? Were there specific 38mm motors that are more likely to have issues?
Have a look here for the info re: 1 grain 38's. I have a 1 grain H something I'll have to modify as it is in the date range.
Cheers

Also, I am interested in more details about the "epoxy fix" that everyone is talking about...what is the actual procedure for this?
The epoxy fix is for the longer 54mm motors, like say 4 grain and up. It involves epoxying the forward closure into the top of the liner to try to prevent hot gas from leaking out the top of the liner.

The epoxy fix is for the longer 54mm motors, like say 4 grain and up. It involves epoxying the forward closure into the top of the liner to try to prevent hot gas from leaking out the top of the liner.

And some folks also do it for 4 grain and up 38s.

Also be aware that there are still 38mm forward closure issues from the 2016 debacle out there in the wild. Just last year I was sent one from a vendor. A quick email exchange with them and it was taken care of, but in 2020, it should never have been shipped. That said, be aware of it and check EVERYTHING.

Last edited:
Is it possible to get the throat diameter for a K300? I'm curious to see if an out of spec throat diameter could be the cause of the two cato's I've had

I am working with a HS school NASA SLI team that plans to use a Cesaroni K740 for their flight (54mm 4 grain). Should we be concerned about CATO's or is that not occurring in the 4 grain motors? They have 2 motors currently - one dated late 2017, and one dated late 2019 is that matters. Any advice would be appreciated.

Latest posts

Back