Covid-19 and a bad time to get cancer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2hpr

Reaction score
In the midst of all this, I was just diagnosed with Mediastinal B-Cell Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma... lump about the size of a softball in my chest. Long (>1yr) misdiagnosed as various other things, so I'm not happy with my PCP, but whatever. In one week, I've had initial x-ray and look-see, CT scan, CT-guided biopsy, bloodwork, bone marrow sample, chemo port install surgery. Next week is PET scan and starting EPOCH-R chemo. Very aggressive plan for what they say is a fast growing, but very curable cancer. My bigger concern is exposure to Covid-19 when I get immunocompromized. Luckily my work is having me work from home and we're being extra cautious.

Keep your fingers crossed for me and go burn some big motors!
-Ken

That is terrible news. Stay safe and avoid public places as much as possible. You will be in my thoughts.

Sorry to hear that Ken. The cancer center within our hospital is taking very serious precautions. Everyone who enters is screened to help protect those who are receiving treatments. I hope you stay safe through this and respond to your treatments well.

My prayers are with you Ken..
You're own positive outlook means the world..
You will get past this..

Teddy

A friend of mine had Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. It started with a lump on his head. Chemo was quite effective for him, but he is also worried now about his immune system. Get well soon!

Reinhard

My second post on this thread. I will keep you my thoughts and prayers. The past two weeks have been full of tragedy.

:goodjob:
BTW, I saw your post a few days back on your build of a LOC Fantom with outboard cluster motors for 6 or 7 years ago. So cool that I'm gonna copy it!

Aw man, not good. Ask them about boosting your immune system, they can give you a hormone after each chemo treatment to get your white blood cell count back up quicker. Not sure if it’s appropriate for your treatment however.

Aw man, not good. Ask them about boosting your immune system, they can give you a hormone after each chemo treatment to get your white blood cell count back up quicker. Not sure if it’s appropriate for your treatment however.
Two days left on this cycle, then blood check to see if I need the WBC boost shot, so it's in the plan. Thanks for the reminder! Have had no bad side effects yet, but it's way early.
-Ken

I was diagnosed with large B cell NHL back in 2007 and went through RCHOP chemo. Been a while but even back then we took precautions from regular flu other communicable diseases. Cancer centers are pros at this stuff so no better place to be prepared. I’m proof this is curable. Good luck and God be with you.

Two days left on this cycle, then blood check to see if I need the WBC boost shot, so it's in the plan. Thanks for the reminder! Have had no bad side effects yet, but it's way early.
-Ken

I hope that wondering if you need some Nuelasta is your biggest worry on your path to recovery, and that your second biggest worry is what color that rocket you're building to celebrate a cure is going to be!

I wish you a speedy recovery and Ken, I'll keep you in my prayers.

Fred

Can only imagine how you feel in these crazy times. You are in my thoughts for a speedy remission and avoiding C-19!

Thanks all for the positive vibes sent my way. No shortage of rockets to repair or complete! I haven't had time to build or fly for quite a few years now. Unfortunately, I'm still trying to get in as many work hours from home so I can keep my (relatively recent) aerospace job. Not ready to retire yet, especially with the markets in current conditions!

Closest to finished is the repairs on 'Excess in Moderation' with a cracked fin since late 2000s.(!) Building a Bullpup with my daughter for CAP. Mostly done with an old Estes (what's the one that looks like an F-15?). Plus a few scratchers: 'Speed of Dark' (LOC Legacy), Deflagration Fascination (3x 38mm cluster upscale of 'Hot Pink Suppository of Discomfort')

Keeping attitude up!
-Ken

Thanks all for the positive vibes sent my way. No shortage of rockets to repair or complete! I haven't had time to build or fly for quite a few years now. Unfortunately, I'm still trying to get in as many work hours from home so I can keep my (relatively recent) aerospace job. Not ready to retire yet, especially with the markets in current conditions!

Closest to finished is the repairs on 'Excess in Moderation' with a cracked fin since late 2000s.(!) Building a Bullpup with my daughter for CAP. Mostly done with an old Estes (what's the one that looks like an F-15?). Plus a few scratchers: 'Speed of Dark' (LOC Legacy), Deflagration Fascination (3x 38mm cluster upscale of 'Hot Pink Suppository of Discomfort')

Keeping attitude up!
-Ken
Hey Ken
Bob Touchinsky here. I’m new to the forum and just surfing around. Came across your story and felt compelled to reply. I am a cancer survivor and have been cancer free for over five years. What made it extra tough for me was along with being unable to work because of the cancer battle, in that two year time period I got ran over and broke a few bones in my right foot. So again not walking for another year. I was enjoying life. Bicycle racing happy healthy. The changes were tough. But sitting here today fully recovered. What I want to share is we do recover. And coming out of the other side we have a unique view of the economic/humanity balance. Wishing you Ken, peace, joy and recovery. Bob

Sorry I missed this earlier.

Praying for a quick, complete, and complication free recovery.

God Bless!

Latest posts

Back