Conformal rail guides

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It seems a a lot of the kits today come with these type of rail guides or something similar? I've always used rail buttons, so the question is not so much as far as mounting them, but when painting your rocket how much paint is too much to where they won't slide or glide properly when on the rail. If you think about the amount of paint we use when painting a rocket it can add up to many layers. Rail buttons can easily be removed and reinstalled after painting, but rail guides not so much. The kits I'm using have a piston so buttons are out of the question and yes I know I could have easily changed over to buttons I wanted to give this set up a try.

Do you think the extra paint would come into play or should I sand the sides of them to allow them to slide easily?

I've already painted primer on them and did the fillets etc. What I'll do is paint them flat black prior to painting the rocket and mask them during the painting. Why does everything have to be so complex...gezzzz!

Back