Composite Warehouse Rocket for Christmas

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skywriter

Reaction score
Was anybody as naïve as me to buy a Composite Warehouse rocket several months early thinking that it would be here in time for Christmas? Maybe Christmas '23?

Just sharing a data point here, nothing more, nothing less.

Order placed for some 5" parts 10/06/2022
Advised order was ready for payment 11/23/2022
Paypal payment sent 11/23/2022
USPS Label created 11/26/2022
USPS picked up box 11/30/2022
USPS delivered 12/02/2022

IMO, call the phone number on website, ask for ETA.

Best,

Follow up with a phone call. Worked wonders for my order that was a year getting here. Don't rely on emails or just waiting. That's been my experience. Arrived just over a week after I phoned. Nice kit.

I've only gotten one kit from them so far... my wife was looking over my shoulder while I was browsing and noticed the kit I was looking at over and over while I vasellated over whether to buy it or not. My birthday was coming up and she went ahead and called them up and ordered it after speaking with them over the phone... it came with days to spare (about a week and a half overall). Seems like placing a phone call before/during/after you order could be a good way to proceed.

Did I mention that my wife is the greatest?

My wife finally got someone to answer the phone Tuesday (12/13). He said they were having pigment problems with the fiberglass tubing but he expected to get it built by tomorrow (12/16). We'll see. It's my wife's Christmas present to me. Did I mention SHE is the greatest?

Yesterday I went to CW site and no pictures of kits are there. There is a few new kit names. Anyone else see this?

Yesterday I went to CW site and no pictures of kits are there. There is a few new kit names. Anyone else see this?
Just checked. Yes, all pictures are gone. Not sure what his plans are for the rocket business. He shows kits in stock, But... The Nike Smoke nose cone I ordered was supposably in stock and I eventually requested a refund. I did notice that he must be getting involved in industrial business. He has composite rollers and shafts listed. The manufacturing industry won't put up with the stuff some have been subjected to.

Just checked. Yes, all pictures are gone. Not sure what his plans are for the rocket business. He shows kits in stock, But... The Nike Smoke nose cone I ordered was supposably in stock and I eventually requested a refund. I did notice that he must be getting involved in industrial business. He has composite rollers and shafts listed. The manufacturing industry won't put up with the stuff some have been subjected to.
I was thinking it was my problem and not anyone else's

I talked to the owner of CW today their site is being worked on. They wanted a few changes and things got out of order.

Yeah, I saw that a few days ago; wondered what was up, but hey, I got my lotus 5 for Christmas. It's all there and looks great!

The Lotus 5 is a great kit. It's a heavy rocket so be sure to think thru the build so that
you can maximize the 54mm motor length.

Thanks for the advice. Wonder if I should put another centering ring in the airframe to keep the parachute away from the motor mount.

Thanks for the advice. Wonder if I should put another centering ring in the airframe to keep the parachute away from the motor mount.

The Lotus is set up as a head-end deployment (HED) design if you go dual deployment.
This puts your Main chute up in the nose cone. You would have a drogue and harness
down around the motor casing.

I've included a PDF file that is a dimensioned drawing of the Lotus with an
AeroTech 1706 case (54mm) set inside the rocket. This should give you an
idea of the kind of space you have to work with using the parts in the kit.

The 1706 case gets you right up to the bulkhead on the avionics bay, as long
as you don't put an eyebolt in the middle of the bulkhead. You want to offset
an eyebolt, or u-bolt, to maximize your motor length.

Attachments

• Lotus-5-Dimensions-Model.pdf
    516.8 KB · Views: 0
Looks like you've done a lot of work there. Very nice! Much better than my diagram. Thank you for sharing. Strangely, my measurements differ a bit from yours mainly for the AV bay. The AV bay is just over 7.5 inches long with lids (not including eyebolt) and sticks 3 inches into the nosecone. That gives me over 2 inches more room. I plan on using CTI 3-grain reloads which should get me over 5000' according to Rocksim. The CTI case is almost 4 inches shorter than the AT 1706 case so I'm looking at about 6 inches of room in a 5-inch diameter BT (plenty). I also plan to use chute-release (no HED) and I am considering leaving the bottom AV lid off to hold the chute if I want to use the 1706. I will use the nosecone to hold my GPS tracker.

Looks like you've done a lot of work there. Very nice! Much better than my diagram. Thank you for sharing. Strangely, my measurements differ a bit from yours mainly for the AV bay. The AV bay is just over 7.5 inches long with lids (not including eyebolt) and sticks 3 inches into the nosecone. That gives me over 2 inches more room. I plan on using CTI 3-grain reloads which should get me over 5000' according to Rocksim. The CTI case is almost 4 inches shorter than the AT 1706 case so I'm looking at about 6 inches of room in a 5-inch diameter BT (plenty). I also plan to use chute-release (no HED) and I am considering leaving the bottom AV lid off to hold the chute if I want to use the 1706. I will use the nosecone to hold my GPS tracker.

My Lotus 5 is from when Curtis first presented the kit. The motor case length was the first challenge some of us ran into.
It sounds like he decided to shrink the AV bay to minimize that issue. Enjoy the build!

Was anybody as naïve as me to buy a Composite Warehouse rocket several months early thinking that it would be here in time for Christmas? Maybe Christmas '23?
I'm too am having problems with Composite Warehouse. After an order placed (paid with PayPal) in September of last year I have called six times (maybe ten attempted calls per answered calls)and each time they said they would "ship the next day" or "after I return from vacation". Now they simply do not answer phone calls or emails. Well they managed to drag the issue out long enough (six months) that PayPal will no longer help with recovering the payment. My experience says that they are simply dishonest.

Back