Composite Warehouse 5" Bullpup or Concept 125 (54mm x 3) - Which one needs built first?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Composite Warehouse 5" Bullpup or Concept 125 (54mm x 3) - Which one needs built first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
man thats crappy!

ugh, hate to see that. failures that you cannot attribute to something you did are the hardest to take - IMHO

WOW, thanks for all the great quality pictures, I just found this thread and now have to start at Post #1, learning a lot from you.
This is how to do things "The Right Way" :bravo:

Thanks for the info. I’ve been using a single vent hole years ago. After 10 years I decided get back into the hobby, I was told I needed more vent holes in my old rockets.

Which is odd considering it has a robust swivel on it. Not sure what to make of it honestly. It was concerning seeing the upper airframe stabilize, and was well below the booster when the main blew at 900.

Strangely I had a very similar descent recently - my rocket was spinning so fast before the main fired that the onboard video had a hypnotic strobe effect that was hard to watch. When I found it the drogue shock cord was seriously knotted. Never seen it do that before (and I've flown that bird more than once).

But anyway... yours was an extremely cool flight - any data on speed, acceleration, apogee etc?

Strangely I had a very similar descent recently - my rocket was spinning so fast before the main fired that the onboard video had a hypnotic strobe effect that was hard to watch. When I found it the drogue shock cord was seriously knotted. Never seen it do that before (and I've flown that bird more than once).

But anyway... yours was an extremely cool flight - any data on speed, acceleration, apogee etc?
No data, still COVERED in mud in the garage.... need to pull the electronics sled out and bust out the hose and rags, its a mess. But a happy mess... :)

Which is odd considering it has a robust swivel on it. Not sure what to make of it honestly. It was concerning seeing the upper airframe stabilize, and was well below the booster when the main blew at 900.
Spent some time looking at your video... you basically had one half of you harness "choke" the free end of the swivel. Here it is soon after deployment. You can see harness is looped around the parachute end of the swivel, and shroud lines are twisting, but the harness is not yet.
Screenshot_20220529-183254_YouTube.jpg

Here is after its twisted up the harness, and a "close-up" of the loop on harness keeping the swivel from working.
Screenshot_20220529-183418_YouTube.jpgScreenshot_20220529-185630_YouTube.jpg

You call, just chalk it up to bad luck, or try to figure out a way to keep it from doing that again.

Your video was so clear I "had to" look at what happened.

Mike

So I'm guessing you had your swivel on your parachute. But it wasn't your parachute that was twisting things up. It was your booster. No swivel on the parachute can fix that. Try a swivel between the booster and the rest of the recovery gear, aside from a short section of harness to get you out of the tube and prevent excess wear. The fin can can then spin freely without twisting up your harness.

I think his parachute has a little damage (burn holes) and uneven shroud line length since some were pinched shorter by the looped harness... This means his chute WAS spinning ( a lot ). The fact the harness stopped the swivel from turning, wound up the shroud lines, then the harness.

The booster does not appear to be spinning much , if at all.

So I'm guessing you had your swivel on your parachute. But it wasn't your parachute that was twisting things up. It was your booster. No swivel on the parachute can fix that. Try a swivel between the booster and the rest of the recovery gear, aside from a short section of harness to get you out of the tube and prevent excess wear. The fin can can then spin freely without twisting up your harness.
Interesting. The chute does have a swivel on it. I'll ditch the swivel next flight and see what the camera catches. I don't fly (3) 54mm load clusters often though.... :)

Back