Composite curing oven build for Aeropoxy PR2032 resin and PH3660 hardener

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfjustin

Reaction score
About a decade ago, I built a large curing oven to accommodate long tubes and completed boosters up to 60+” long. Original intent was to make my own carbon tubes eventually, but that never happened. @ECayemberg was kind enough to take said coffin off my hands a number of years ago in advance of a job change/move. That original build was mainly used for post curing fin cans with tip-to-tip laminations using Aeropoxy PR2032 resin and PH3660 hardener. Room temperature cure leaves Aeropoxy laminating epoxy noticeably tacky to the touch, but once post cured to about 190-200 degrees F, it’s very dry and hard.

I wanted to make a much smaller version today, mainly to bake fin cans only.

Here are some pics and links to products used on the build.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pnpages/01-42135.phphttps://www.homedepot.com/p/Woodgra...-x-36-in-Pine-Square-Dowel-10001818/206016659https://www.homedepot.com/p/Project...VFP3jBx1OHQ5FEAQYBCABEgLlavD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited by a moderator:
heck, I just leave my tacky rockets in a car parked in the sun for a curing oven.... works for UV cure epoxies too :p

I leave a jar of 'Cerrolow 117' in my car, it's a 5 part metal mixture that melts at 117F, and it's been molten every day after work for the past month or so.

I'm sure your setup will be better and more controlled than mine, but I don't have the space for a curing oven in my garage.

Sweet! I see some improvements in this rendition over your original!!! Mini-Me, you complete me!

Now that you are moved and settled, you're welcome to store the original at your place for the occasional use. Free delivery! ;)

heck, I just leave my tacky rockets in a car parked in the sun for a curing oven.... works for UV cure epoxies too :p

I leave a jar of 'Cerrolow 117' in my car, it's a 5 part metal mixture that melts at 117F, and it's been molten every day after work for the past month or so.

I'm sure your setup will be better and more controlled than mine, but I don't have the space for a curing oven in my garage.

This is what I did prior to using Justin's original curing oven. Hot sunny day, windows up in a black vehicle... always enjoyed the smell of post-cured epoxy more than I should have!

Sweet! I see some improvements in this rendition over your original!!! Mini-Me, you complete me!

Now that you are moved and settled, you're welcome to store the original at your place for the occasional use. Free delivery! ;)
Emily would be less than thrilled. We should discuss as a group over disc golf round.

As a suggestion, a temperature controller and small fan to circulate the hot air would permit a controlled step up and step down Aeropoxy cure process. I've had good luck with my oven using this $15 temperature controller wired to switch the heat lamp on and off along with a 120 volt continuously running muffin fan to circulate the interior air and minimize temperature gradients. I talked to an Aeropoxy engineer years ago about laminate curing for rocket use and he recommended 10 degree F steps for 30 minutes each from 100 F up to 190 F with a 30 min hold at 190F and then a similar cool down process for maximum cure strength.

KETOTEK Digital Temperature Controller

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful fillets, @rfjustin !

And I really like your 'un-kool' ez-bake oven -- it is very kool :)

How high will your oven go with the pair of SYLVANIA Incandescent 200W Bulbs ?

I see that the bulbs can be dimmed ... How do you control the temperature in your oven ?

Thanks !

-- kjh
Seems the small box maxes out around 235 degree F. I use a dimmer to throttle it back as needed.

Back