Communication Range prediction for this transceiver ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To echo everyone else. Get a Ham ticket and learn some RF science/propagation. 60hz download rate? I may have missed it but download rate of what? Totally unneeded for position reporting. Get a commercial GPS rocket tracker that's already on the market. Only use NDB (non-directional beacon) tracking for smaller rockets. You'll have to learn about Yagi antennas, Rf attenuators too and practice to do it. Hint, hint. It's the ground footprint that counts with NDB tracking transmitters. I can rant about this stuff for hours but time to think about what to make for supper. Kurt (KC9LDH)

NO. Aluminum is NOT RF transparent.... It will block any RF signal near completely.
Yup! I was so paranoid I'd drill a hole through the forward or rear bulkhead and use a plastic stent to support the antenna wire so it didn't get squished by the main chute under acceleration. Metallic paints are out too if they have metal in them, they will attenuate the signal. Did that one time and fortunately I was doing my studying here and in books. I painted an entire rocket a metallic red. Yup, I ground tested the range and it was abysmal. I was able to strip the upper bay and paint it a "regular" yellow. Ran the antenna up into that bay and all is well. Have always found that rocket with a nominal flight. That's all its ever had mind you. Still flyable if I get around to new batteries and ground test everything. Kurt

You should get your Call Sign by Tuesday Afternoon...
I remember back in the day I did both the Tech and General test the same day. Had to pass the Tech first before they'd let me take the General. Passed both and I recollect the examiners told me I didn't have to wait for the FCC to send me the paper license. As soon as I'm assigned a callsign on the FCC site, I was good to go and start transmitting using the call. They had computer searching back then. I'm on my second 17 year cycle with the license as I renewed. Kurt

KQ4OCD

Finally got it. Lots to learn even after passing the test. I’m finally getting all the doctor reports from the local hams and road reports when it snows. 😀

Congrats! You don't have to listen to the organ recitals.

Back