Comet C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE) rise, transit and set times from your location before it's gone forever

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@NateB, I don't know if you saw my edited post above, but I was flabbergasted when my host's sister-in-law was able to capture several images with her Iphone! Granted it was the fancy new one with the 3 cameras, but that was a jaw-dropper. And it was closer to what you actually see. Those real pretty ones, though I appreciate them, are time exposures, multiple layered in post processing, and there you do have the fancy DSLR with the expensive lenses, and clock drives on your equitorial mount tripod that's built like the Brooklyn Bridge..
I have a T6s with a Tamron lens. Nothing fancy here. 1 picture with a 15 second exposure. I did try light painting with the milky way and came up with this. Again, 1 picture with a 15 second exposure. ISO 1600 F4.2 I think.Milkyway 4mp for internet.png

Very nice! I'm just kinda ticked that my Nikon P610 won't let me do time exposures... that looks like Jupiter and Saturn just left of center there. I'm amazed at how bright they are out here in eastern Montana...

Very nice! I'm just kinda ticked that my Nikon P610 won't let me do time exposures... that looks like Jupiter and Saturn just left of center there. I'm amazed at how bright they are out here in eastern Montana...
Yup. Jupiter and saturn are nice and bright right now.

@Blast it Tom! I just looked up the manual for your P610. I cannot believe that Nikon made a camera that doesn't allow time exposures. Below is from the manual. If I'm reading it correctly you can take a 15s exposure but only at ISO 100! WTH?

1595257104046.png

Same here, on my fourth night of trying. Nothing quite like the spectacular views shown above, but clearly visible. First comet I've gotten a good look at in my life, I'll take it.
Thank goodness I got to see it Saturday night. We had a “dry” front move through that cleared out the clouds and humidity. It was also a good night for Jupiter and Saturn. I have a 72mm ED refractor that I was able to get some good views. Sunday was overcast and humidity is back.

@Blast it Tom! I just looked up the manual for your P610. I cannot believe that Nikon made a camera that doesn't allow time exposures. Below is from the manual. If I'm reading it correctly you can take a 15s exposure but only at ISO 100! WTH?

Yeah, that's what I got, as well. I got the thing knowing it wasn't a DSLR, but it's good for "snapshot" quality zooms. The P1000 is a real brick, but allows you to shoot RAW (which I don't really know how to deal with, but understand that's good for serious photographers and digital post processing), with a 35mm eq. focal length of 3000 mm! I think it can also do time exposures, but you'd better belive I'll check the the manual first. Once again, like all this stuff, it's a compromise in optics and sensor, but you can do a lot with it.

Hi photogs,

In my ignorance of some of the issues around photographing the comet, I had expected people to post images that had streaks from starlink satellites in them. Since I think these pictures are near-dawn times, wouldn't that be the timing when the Starlink swarm is most visible?

Hi photogs,

In my ignorance of some of the issues around photographing the comet, I had expected people to post images that had streaks from starlink satellites in them. Since I think these pictures are near-dawn times, wouldn't that be the timing when the Starlink swarm is most visible?
My photos are at dusk. A out 10:30 local time. Most of the star links are visible above head and the comet is low on the horizon. The also made an effort to lower the reflection of the satellites so they aren't as visible.

Hopefully these clouds move out before the comet sets. I have a pair of binoculars, NVGs, and a smartphone camera ready to go. It should be visible until 0200, but the higher it is on the horizon will be better thanks to a small community to our North.

PSX_20200723_214139.jpg

NeoWise01.JPG
Spotted it while smoking. Saw a new fuzzy in the northern sky and let my eyes dark adapt. Saw how long it was, and I was like, yep, that's that comet. Confirmed with my ST-80 and a 20mm RKB lens. Then set up the Sony a5000 on my dinky tripod and snapped a pic. 4000ISO 30s 50mm. Took a dozen shots before realizing I hadn't set the focus. Turned it up to infinity and dialed back one tick for this shot (couldn't get a star into my display to focus on, should have pointed at Jupiter). Not a great picture, but 30 ft from my porch and no setup time. Might bust out the bigger guns this weekend and try a more professional shot with the ST-80. No promises though.

I wasn't able to view the comet due to cloud cover, but Jupiter and Saturn were especially bright. The NVGs actually showed the crescent phase of Venus right now too.

I wasn't able to view the comet due to cloud cover, but Jupiter and Saturn were especially bright. The NVGs actually showed the crescent phase of Venus right now too.
Bummer. I was able to see it this past Saturday, but it has been too cloudy and humid in the evening. If another weather window opens I will have a chance with my small refractor.

Bummer. I was able to see it this past Saturday, but it has been too cloudy and humid in the evening. If another weather window opens I will have a chance with my small refractor.
It should be lagging around for a few more days, but on its way back toward the horizon I believe. A bino should make a pretty spectacular view by itself. 7x50 would be my first choice, 10x50 would work well too. My ST-80 was set at 20x and struggled to capture everything in the frame. Really pretty though. How big is your refractor?

On SpaceX sats, I have mixed feelings. Hopefully they succeed at making them more stealthy, but things happen. I've seen numerous sattelites wander into view, as well as jet planes. I was observing the Pleiades one night and the ISS came ripping right through the frame while I was sketching. In general though, it's hard to complain about that when for much of my country, at least, the sky is ruined by street lamps, parking lot lights, headlights, neon signs, etc. There was once a total blackout in a Southern California city once, and 911 received over a hundred calls about a luminous alien cloud hovering above the city. Those poor people had never seen the Milky Way!
It is rather sad though that the path to satellite communications, namely our obsession with the beautiful cosmos, has given birth to numerous technologies that destroy our view of the heavens, and rather ironic.

It should be lagging around for a few more days, but on its way back toward the horizon I believe. A bino should make a pretty spectacular view by itself. 7x50 would be my first choice, 10x50 would work well too. My ST-80 was set at 20x and struggled to capture everything in the frame. Really pretty though. How big is your refractor?

On SpaceX sats, I have mixed feelings. Hopefully they succeed at making them more stealthy, but things happen. I've seen numerous sattelites wander into view, as well as jet planes. I was observing the Pleiades one night and the ISS came ripping right through the frame while I was sketching. In general though, it's hard to complain about that when for much of my country, at least, the sky is ruined by street lamps, parking lot lights, headlights, neon signs, etc. There was once a total blackout in a Southern California city once, and 911 received over a hundred calls about a luminous alien cloud hovering above the city. Those poor people had never seen the Milky Way!
It is rather sad though that the path to satellite communications, namely our obsession with the beautiful cosmos, has given birth to numerous technologies that destroy our view of the heavens, and rather ironic.
I was using 8x42 binoculars this past Saturday and the tail stretched across most of the field. I have a 72mm ED refractor with a 32mm plossl as my lowest power. That will give me about 3.7deg FOV. I was thinking that it might get too dim for binoculars.

As for the Starlink stuff I would think something like this would be more carefully looked at before allowing the deployment. I would have to read more about it.

As for the Starlink stuff I would think something like this would be more carefully looked at before allowing the deployment. I would have to read more about it.

We discussed the Starlink stuff on other TRF threads a few months ago. I believe the Starlink is here to stay. Elon Musk has got the money to complete the system and there is nothing legally stopping him. He is smart enough to know that he should launch the stuff as fast as he can before any substantial movement can arise to oppose him. The Starlink orbits are in such a position that the maximum photographic interference will be near dusk or dawn. Wouldn't you know it, the latest comet sensation occurs at those times.

In general though, it's hard to complain about that when for much of my country, at least, the sky is ruined by street lamps, parking lot lights, headlights, neon signs, etc. There was once a total blackout in a Southern California city once, and 911 received over a hundred calls about a luminous alien cloud hovering above the city. Those poor people had never seen the Milky Way!

1. Agree about light pollution and sat communications. I never see the stars around home like this
2. With regards to the "luminous alien cloud", I consider this a failure of our educational system - that's basic, basic science...

Back