Combined Pull/Rotor Stop mechanism, different if not new, Helicopter Zephyr1

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Always risky to say something is new, so just call this different or uncommon. Hornet, not sure if you used this on your Bainbridge, but if not, might be a thought for future builds.

20150609_191913.jpg20150609_191902.jpg20150609_191855.jpg20150609_191826.jpg20150609_191704.jpg

[video=youtube_share;7j4A16NYHrI]https://youtu.be/7j4A16NYHrI[/video]

My usual helirockets use rotor stops up front, they work, but they add a good bit of drag and also decrease stability (need to be countered by bigger fins.) These are carbon fiber tubes over monofilament fishing line, there is a pulley mechanism up front and the pull bands are internal.
At deployment, the rotor fins are released when the rubber bands at the back holding them closed are burned through.
The monofilament line is pulled, lifting the blades up (note: there is also a burn/blast chamber just above the engine mount with diverts/directs the blast gas laterally to help get the fin opening "started."

When the carbon fiber tube is pulled all the way to the pulley, it stops.

I also like the fact that there is much less tension on the blades in the closed position with this, which results in less outward "bowing."

This device/mechanism may be useful for other purposes, including deploying upper stage recessed fins in flight, also looking to try this with my biplane rocket glider (which has been started, it is kind of a "solve a problem as you go" project."

I'm sure my novice is showing because I've never seen anything like that.
pretty freaking sweet, and it works too.
Awesome rocket.

Barbar:
Very interesting use of Carbon fiber tubing.
I seem to recall you saying before you do not fly NAR competition so may not be aware of the many different AutoGyro configurations that do not use forward stops on the rotor/fin combinations.
Watching the video I also noted the lack of duration time on a 4 rotor Helicopter recovery model. May I suggest using about 3 to 4 degrees of dihedral on the rotors in the up postion which should help with stability and rotation. Do you balance the rotors? This will also greatly help in increasing your time aloft. Might I also mention most competition helicopter recovery models use only three rotors to help reduce overall model mass.
another suggestion is to use a sliding motor mount tube with tiny (.020" diameter) release hooks to deploy the rotors at ejection by kicking the motor tube backwards to an internal stop built onto the Carbonfibre or Dowel centeral core.

Pretty Kewl use of Carbon fibre and fishing line. You might want to try braided "Spider-Wire" fishing line over monofilament for it's much smaller OD to test strength and super flexabiltiy 10lb test Spider-Wire has same OD as 2lb mono. ...just keep it away from any heat or flame as it can't stand very much:)
Love flying HD models...Keep em coming:)

041b1a_.25A-A 13mm HD WonderWhirl (Rotorfins)_02-24-13.jpg

041b1b_.25A-A 13mm HD WonderWhirl (RotorfinsUp)_02-24-13.jpg

041b1c_.25A-A 13mm WonderWhirl T3 FreeHub Close_02-24-13.JPG

MM215c1b_Motor Mt & LL_03-28-09.JPG

MM 215c2-c_Tiddlywink-b Rotors Up-05-30-09.JPG

Last edited:
Back