CMASS announces NEMROC 2007

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobkrech

Reaction score
This is a CMASS announcement that NEMROC 2007 will be held at the Amesbury Middle School on Saturday, November 3 followed by the NEMROC launch on Sunday, November 4 at Woodsom Farm Park.

Over the summer we shifted the conference from Columbus Day weekend to November for several reasons. Columbus Day weekend is typically at the peak of leaf-peeker season, so a lot of folks go away and hotel rooms are hard to get. Additionally, many TARC teams have not been formed and we want to get these middle and high school students to come.

This year we would like to try to get as many new folks interested in rocketry as possible in line with the NAR 50,000 flight for the 50th NAR Anniversary in addition to our usual topics. In the past 12 months we have had over 400 first flights, and would really like to double that number before next August.

The presentation sessions will be separated into 3 categories: Advanced, Beginner and Craftsman/Competition. We have a lot of the program planned but as always I am looking for good speakers in all 3 areas so don't be shy.

For the advanced sessions, we will have speakers and would like some fresh faces to present on clustered and/or, multistage high power rockets, electronic deployment and other electronic widgets, and other big projects.

For the beginner sessions, we will have several build sessions, and will have speakers who can present a talk on the basics of rocket design, operations, construction and simulation.

Club Member Jim Flis of Fliskits, our lead sponsor, will be providing a special NEMROC kit and be supervising at least one of the building sessions, and we are hoping to get Hobbytown Nashua and/or Plastow involved as (a) participating vendor(s) to be the on-site black powder and AT motor vendor. Club member Howard Greenblat, the Massaschusetts Roadrunner motor distributor will be at the conference and the launch with a good supply of Roadrunner engines.

For the craftsman/competition sessions, we have and are are looking for folks who can give demonstration of techniques of scratch building, competition building, painting, paper rockets, gliders, etc.

We will also feature as a special atttraction the highly successful Weare Middle School TARC/SLI team who will have a booth with their rockets and instrumentation, along with a special presentation and video of their adventures in mid and hig power rocketry.

We also hope to have at least one video on rocketry running throughout the conference.

I would welcome your comments, suggestions, etc. here, and if you want to make a presentation or help out, send me an e-mail at my e-mail address below or [email protected]

The NEMROC website is https://www.nemroc.org but it's not up to date with the date changes. Blame me, I've been swamped with my paying job, but hopefully I'll get the correct dates and new stuff up by next week.

Bob Krech, CMASS Senior Advisor
[email protected]
[email protected]
https://www.cmass.org
https://www.nemroc.org

Yeah! :)

I've been peppered with requests to get this announcement up and am glad to see it here. Packed full on information too! Thank you Bob!

Personal observation. Bob and I discussed this all at length several times over the summer and are in strong agreement. One of the visions we have for NEMROC is introducing new folks, mainly kids, to rocketry.

NEMROC, as with any convention, should be a mix of things including:

- learning new things to enhance your hobby
- social event to meet up with old friends in an interesting environment
- Meeting place to come face to face with some of the movers and shakers of this hobby.
- Teaching younger rocketeers (and older too) some of the tricks and tips to make building and flying go faster, easier and safer.

In the past, NEMROC has been all of these things, as has NARCON and most any other convention. Where I think all conventions need to focus on more however is:

- Introducing new people to the hobby.

Conventions are a great place to find out MORE about the hobby. It is great for rocketeers young and old. I would like to see NEMROC (and other conventions) become great places to DISCOVER the hobby too. As of today, I don't believe this is the case.

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT saying this doesn't take place. NARCON in Wisconsin is a great example. They had a full day (The friday of the convention) where they had build sessions with first time builders, for example. What I am saying is that we (all of us, world wide) need to put greater focus on this objective when thinking about conventions.

To that end we are going to be encouraging local youth groups to join us. At least one of the build sessions will be geared towards first time builders and many of the sessions will be designed and delivered with that in mind.

We hope to have some articles in our local papers about this event. Club members from different areas in Mass and NH should consider contacting their local papers to see if they would be interested in adding this event in their community calendars throughout the month of October to let these folks know about the event. I have the Nashua/Merrimack/Bedford area covered. How about other areas?

Lastly, we're going to have a ball! Every time I go to a convention it is a hoot. Great people, great talks, videos, builds, meeting vendors, rocketeers, friends. Folks you have read about but never met. Rockets you have seen pictures of but have never held. It all changes at a convention.

I have traveled 16 hours to attend a convention. If we had rocketeers in the North East willing to travel 4 hours and make a weekend of it, NEMROC would more than double THIS year alone!

Come on out. Be a part of one of the cornerstones of a great and growing hobby. Conventions!

jim

The final approvals from the City of Amesbury and Amesbury School Department are in hand and the NEMROC 2007 website is up and running and the electronic registration has been activated.

Come join CMASS and FLISKITS for a great 2 day fall event.

On Saturday, November 3, 2007, The 2007 New England Model Rocketry Convention will be held at the Amesbury Middle School in Amesbury, MA from 8:30-5:30. There will be a dozen seminars and forum covering all aspects of rocketry from the basics to the advanced, and two build rocket sessions. We are also featuring the accomplishments of the very successful Weare Middle School TARC/SLI team. They will have exhibits and videos of their exploits at the TARC finals and at NASA Marshal Space Flight Center, as well as a formal presentation. We will also have several seminars specifically aimed at the design of competion rockets and team organization.

Of course our sponsoring vendor, FLISKITS, and participating vendors Hobby Town USA, Road Runner Motors, and Cosmodrome Rocketry will have tables in the cafeteria with lots of good stuff for sale.

Admission is $15 for adults, $10 for middle school and high school student, $5 for TARC team members, and free for kids 12 and under accompanied by an adult.

On Sunday, November 4 we will have a model and high power (H-J) rocket launch at the 360 acre Woodsom Farm Park in Amesbury, about 2 miles west of the middle school from 10-4. Launch fees are $5 for adults and CMASS members without a Season Pass. Last year we launched over 400 flights on a near perfect day, and hopefully the weather will be just as good this year.

Full details can be found at https://www.nemroc.org and https://www.cmass.org

Hope to see you there.

Bob Krech, CMASS Senior Advisor
[email protected]
[email protected]

Six more days until NEMROC. A technical model rocket convention with fun being number one.

FlisKits is the proud sponsor of NEMROC and we hope to have a full house for the entire convention, and a whole lotta fun!

FlisKits will host a Whatchamacallit make-it-take-it session and folks are welcome to join with any other rocket they would care to build. Building supplies are limited, so if you can bring anything you can!

FlisKits will also be announcing the Nanite Micro rocket glider at NEMROC with a give-away of about 25 of these sweet little models.

Details of what will be donated to the event will be made shortly, so stay tuned!

jim

Yay! I've been looking forward to the Nanite since the last NEMROC, can't wait to get my hands on one. I'm bringing my (adult) brother and two oldest children. One of my boys came with me last year, and the other one just finished his Frick-n-Frack tonight, special for this launch. Hope the weather holds up for Sunday.

The forecast looks good for the weekend, and we have lots of hot dogs, soda, snacks, speakers, door prizes, so we're ready to launch a great 2 day weekend of rockets.

NEMROC 2007 Conference Saturday, November 3 at the Amesbury Middle School, Amesbury, MA from 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM

NEMROC 2007 Launch Sunday November 4 at Woodsom Farm Park, Amesbury MA from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM

More details at https://www.nemroc.org and https://www.cmass.org

Bob Krech
CMASS Senior Advisor

It's official! FlisKits will have the Nanite at NEMROC! Got the documentation today and will be kitting them tomorrow.

Lookin' good too :)

See you folks this weekend!

jim

I will be doing two lectures. First one is in the morning and its about what other things are out there in this hobby besides the few rockets at wall mart and hobby shops. Second one I believe will be the 1st propulsion one, and it will be about motor ignition and making your own igniter's. The schedule does not reflect that yet but I hope it will soon.

Nanites are all kitted up and ready to go.

FlisKits will be donating a number of these along with Whatchamacallits and Triple Threats to be given out to registered attendees, so come early to get the best selection! (Whatchamacallits will be reserved for those under 18 initially)

I also got the NEMROC range box stickers in today! They came out great! I have 100 so I am hoping to have enough for everyone (see photo)

Also, anyone from CMASS who didn't get a CMASS sticker last year, stop on by my booth as I have a bunch more!

see you in a few days!
jim

View attachment P1010052.JPG

View attachment P1010051.JPG

TWO more days until NEMROC 2007.

I heard that at NEMROC Fliskits will wean some wee Nanite RG's to the public.

TWO more days until NEMROC 2007.

I heard that at NEMROC Fliskits will wean some wee Nanite RG's to the public.

I don't think he is intentionally giving them away. You see, being nanites, its hard to keep track of how many you have and even where they are at. They can and will travel out out of their jar and into the hands of the "unwilling" public. So, if you feel something itching, chances are its a nanite ;)

Looks like Jim is giving away 20 nanites ;)

Ok, I'll bite...

...What weather god has it against NEMROC????

Been checking the weather all week and Sat/Sun were picture perfect...

All of a sudden a friggen hurricane is whipping up the coast and will nail us on Saturday with heavy rains and winds in the high 20's (MPH) with gusts to near 60......

Launching for Sunday still looks ok, but certainly not as "ok" as it did 2 days ago...

Ah well, such is life and NEMROC!

See you folks tomorrow!
jim

Latest weather forecast for Saturday is for periods of rain heavy at times. High near 43. Windy, with a north wind between 23 and 31 mph, with gusts as high as 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts between one and two inches possible.

This is nowhere near as bad as it was for NEMROC 2005 where we had at least 6" inches of rain from 8AM to 6PM so don't let a little rain and wind ruin your day.

The weather for the launch on Sunday is looking good. Sunny, with a high near 53. West wind between 10 and 20 mph. Based on past expereince and the speed of the storm, the winds are likely to be lower than predicted, and the rare west wind direction is optimum for the field.

We'll be there and hope you will be as well.

Bob

Looks now that I won't be able to make either NEMROC day. :(

Have a great time!

Jim

Just got back from my Boys & Girls Club rocket launch (beginners and advanced). Great launch with beautiful weather.

Now to pack for NEMROC...! :)

Back