Cluster motor hook question ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOEROCKET

Reaction score
I have noticed that most clusters with motor clips seem to have the extra "zig-zag" cut off of them any reason for this ? Here is a picture of one that has been cut.

The extra little "zig zag" is a useless (in my opinion) addition to motor hooks to make it easier to pull it back to release the motor.

It's actually worse than useless in that a hard landing on asphalt or concrete can actually bend the motor hook, which doesn't happen when there's just a simple little L-bend.

Originally posted by vjp
The extra little "zig zag" is a useless (in my opinion) addition to motor hooks to make it easier to pull it back to release the motor.

It's actually worse than useless in that a hard landing on asphalt or concrete can actually bend the motor hook, which doesn't happen when there's just a simple little L-bend.

I agree 100% Also, with the mini motors (there were a line of clips for 13mm motors like this), the clip is actually IN the exhaust path of the A10 motor...

Originally posted by vjp

Yea, motor hooks from Estes worked just fine until Quest and Custom started using the extra tabs (they were even worse -- dangerous -- than the new Estes hooks). Then Estes had to go and out-do them.

I bought a bunch of gool ol' "straight" hooks from either Jim Flis or BMS at NARAM this year, so I can replace the Estes hooks when I want to (the zig zag tab *does* have its uses in some rockets).

Well lets see now, this mount is for my Maxi-force clone and I think that the swept fins will protect the "zig-zags" what do y'all think about the exaust path clearance? here's a pic
:)

Oh by the way I will document the build of the Maxi-force clone on the Maxi-Force questions thread.:cool:

You should be fine. There isn't that much *wrong* with those hooks, just not much of an improvement and disliked by many...

Also, there won't be any problem with the exhaust using D motors. I've only seen that problem with the 13mm motors and *then* only with the A10 (larger throat)

jim

For future cluster projects try this setup. I use a 3-4 inch piece of 6-32 allthread epoxied in the middle of the MMT's and approx 1 1/4 inch from the end of the tubes. One nut will hold all three motors securely.

Originally posted by tazzdevl1
For future cluster projects try this setup. I use a 3-4 inch piece of 6-32 allthread epoxied in the middle of the MMT's and approx 1 1/4 inch from the end of the tubes. One nut will hold all three motors securely.

I've used this method successfully many times. And while I'm responding to your post, what the heck is up with the other two motors in that cluster? Are they just in a shadow, or did those nozzles blow?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that! Yep, they blew out on ignition. This is a LOC Viper III. The motors were Estes D12's. No damage to the rocket and Estes replaced the motors. Matter of fact, my avatar is that flight!

The "zig-zag" hooks are certainly easier to grab and pull back, but I like the looks of the plain engine hooks and they work just as well.

Back