Classic Car?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ours are all in-process. My son-in-law is picking away at a '67 Camaro, and my son has a driveable, but less than pristine, '68 Impala Super Sport (4 door hardtop) with the 327 4-barrel. It's the exact year, make and model as the car my wife had when we were married, and that he rode home from the hospital in:

Teresie's_1968_Impala_April_1974_01_4x6cr+Sat.jpgDSCN4636_4x6_Crop.jpg

I had a 1987 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe. It was stolen - TWICE! The second time was really bad, I sold it to a collector/rebuilder.

I have a beat up 1988 Mitsubishi Van (which are rare these days) which runs; I also have a 1976 or 1978 VW Beetle (air cooled) that currently has 4 flats and a dent in the roof, but would run if I put a little work into it. Don't have any photos, because I'm at work currently..... I used to have more VWs, but I had a garage fire a few years back which killed my Diesel Rabbit and the Beetle hot-rod I was working on.... along with a ton of tools and spare parts. But that's a story for another day.

My 1979 MGB.

VpoRjTyh.jpg

LNXKkaIh.jpg

The top is almost always down.
Not fast in a straight line but very fun in the corners.
It's almost all original.

I inherited this from my Buddy, Ricky Powell, who passed away, unexpectedly. I never even knew he had me in his Will, until his brother James came up to me and said "Ricky loved you like a brother and he wanted you to have this" and handed me the keys and the title . . . Its a 1976 Corvette Stingray . . . We had planned to swap a 427 stroker Small Block Chevy into it, with a Turbo 400 transmission, but he was gone too quickly !

Rest In Peace, my Brother In Christ !

Dave F.

CORVETTE -08 - ADJ - SMALL.jpgCORVETTE -10 - SMALL.jpgVETTE - DAY 1 -08 - SMALL.jpgVETTE - DAY 1 -09 - SMALL.jpgVETTE - DAY 1 -10 - SMALL.jpgVETTE - DAY 1 -11 - SMALL.jpgVETTE - DAY 1 -12 - SMALL.jpgVETTE - DAY 1 -13 - SMALL.jpgVETTE - DAY 1 -14 - SMALL.jpgVETTE - DAY 1 -15 - SMALL.jpgVETTE - DAY 1 -16 - SMALL.jpgRICKY LEE POWELL.jpg

This is my fair weather ride. A Meyers' Manx #60 of 100 from the Signature Series bodies that were sold during the early 2000's. I built it from the ground up. Brings a smile to my face every time I take it for a cruise.

Attachments

• KIMG0756.jpg
    KIMG0756.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • KIMG0757.jpg
    KIMG0757.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • KIMG0755.jpg
    KIMG0755.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I inherited this from my Buddy, Ricky Powell, who passed away, unexpectedly. I never even knew he had me in his Will, until his brother James came up to me and said "Ricky loved you like a brother and he wanted you to have this" and handed me the keys and the title . . . Its a 1976 Corvette Stingray . . . We had planned to swap a 427 stroker Small Block Chevy into it, with a Turbo 400 transmission, but he was gone too quickly !

Rest In Peace, my Brother In Christ !

Dave F.

View attachment 601155View attachment 601156View attachment 601157View attachment 601158View attachment 601159View attachment 601160View attachment 601161View attachment 601162View attachment 601163View attachment 601164View attachment 601165View attachment 601166
Dave,

Thats a sad and good story.

It's Great that he willed you his car, to be enjoyed by someone he loved.

Is the car running now?

My father owned a garage for over 60 years and I worked there during high school and college. We didn't have the means to get into anything really impressive but I've seen a few cars here and there. I'll post photos as I find them.

I was pretty young in the late 1950s, my father and his brothers were into drag racing. Below is a photo of one of their cars. I was into car magazines in the middle 1960s and wondered why their car looked somewhat crude but much later realized that is how most hot rods looked in the 1950s.oldcars-005r.jpg

Here is my first car, 1966 Dodge Charger 383. This belonged to one of my father's customers and had a lot of miles on it, we bought it when they were ready to trade it in for another car.
ScanImage006b.jpg

Here is my second car, 1966 Corvette 427. The guy who visited our shop every week selling us batteries mentioned to my father that his daughter had the Corvette she wanted to sell before she got married so we took a road trip to buy it and drove it back. I only had it for a couple of years. My dad's brother was a car enthusiast and wrote a car column for the local newspaper. Once he saw the car he wanted to buy it so a couple of years later he ended up with it. I didn't appreciate it fully for what it was and wanted a newer model with A/C and better radio.ScanImage022b.jpg

I had a friend working in the garage with me so we scrounged up some parts and built a hot rod to play with. We bought the shell of a 1957 Chevrolet from my uncle for $25. The body was in good shape and complete except for bumpers but had no drivetrain and the interior was completely gutted. We bought and scrounged parts from various places and ended up with a 350, 4-speed and 4.11 gears. We mostly drove it to the local burger joints but the next summer when the local drag strip opened we ran it a few times. At the end of the summer the motor blew so we divided up our parts and started on our own separate projects. He kept the body, I took the transmission and some other engine parts.ScanImage008b.jpg

I bought this Chevy II for my next project. I built up a 283 for it, with fairly radical cam, 850 holley, 4.88 gears, but by that time I was going away to college and didn't have much time to mess with it.ScanImage001b.jpg

Here is an MG Midget that he had in his lot, given to him by one of his customers. The story was that they just stopped driving it. My wife thought I should get it home and restore it. When I first got it I didn't have enough money to work on it then later I ended up with not enough time to work on it. Turns out the motor was frozen and wouldn't rotate. I ended up pulling the motor out and had to hammer the pistons out one at a time. We were getting ready to move and my wife said it wasn't coming with us so I sold it to a local guy who was going to make an EV out of it. All the time I had it I never found out if I could even sit in it. This photo is from 2006.Dsc_0016b.jpg

Bought this 67 289 coupe in 92 when I was in the Airforce. I was 19 at the time and picked It up for 800 bucks, my entire savings at the time. It was an Arizona car for most of its life and then sat in storage here in NY for many years. Back in 2012 my cousin and I began the resto mod rebuild. Car has been just about completely rebuilt. Everything from a Ford Racing 363 Boss stoker to coil over suspension front to back. Lots of memories to this car and will now be passed to my 23 year old son. Want to see him now drive and enjoy the car :)

Attachments

• 67 Mustang.jpg
    67 Mustang.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 0
  • P8230003.JPG
    P8230003.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2530.jpeg
    IMG_2530.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Mustang now.jpg
    Mustang now.jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2805.jpeg
    IMG_2805.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1678.JPG
    IMG_1678.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2806.jpeg
    IMG_2806.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My last toy wasn't that old. I have had a '66, and a '69 mustang. I don't have any pictures of them anymore.

This mustang is from the '80's, which is still a few years old, but in my mind, not really a classic, yet. Got rid of it about 4 years ago.

CSC_0525CCC.jpg

Back