Chute selection?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
OK I need some advice on what kind of chute to use with my G-FORCE I just finished building. It comes in at 43.5 ozs. One of my friends suggested using a 60" flare chute that I can get from Aerocon Systems.

https://aeroconsystems.com/cart/all-parachutes/60-inch-white-parachute/

with the deployment bag it shows it coming in at 14oz. I suppose I could neatly pack it with a bag and it would work fine. I did have two of these chutes, but felt it was too much additional weight for the rocket, but I suppose with a high power motor it would be fine?

What are your thoughts and suggestions. The 60" is tempting since I can't find any 42" flare chutes for a reasonable price.

Dan

Yeah I didn't like so I got rid of it. I'll be launching on a desert floor so the ground is a lot harder and all the rockets I destroyed with a small chute...well the gets old quick so I figured a bigger chute will help.. I was thinking maybe 50" Topflight if the flare chute doesn't work...which more than likely is too big and heavy.

Last edited:
I used one in my 4" slightly stretched Endeavour set up for dual deploy and it worked OK on soft ground. The Endeavour weighed a lot more than your G-Force. My only complaint is the fiberglass shroud lines start to fray after several uses. If you are planning on flying it frequently I would see if you could get someone to replace them with paracord or 1/8" kevlar. Just my :2:.
I just pulled one out of my Recovery box and the chute is very light. All of the weight and bulk is in the shroud lines. I thought it might be a toroidal but it is not. The 36" flare chute I have is like a toroidal. It has the center pull down but no spill hole. I thought I had a 42" but I can't seem to find it.

Last edited:
I launched my 56 onces G-Force Saturday on the 42" that come with it. Was a very smooth landing , look at the smile of this guy returning with his Cert 1 in his hand.

View attachment 129995

I used one in my 4" slightly stretched Endeavour set up for dual deploy and it worked OK on soft ground. The Endeavour weighed a lot more than your G-Force. My only complaint is the fiberglass shroud lines start to fray after several uses. If you are planning on flying it frequently I would see if you could get someone to replace them with paracord or 1/8" kevlar. Just my :2:.
I just pulled one out of my Recovery box and the chute is very light. All of the weight and bulk is in the shroud lines. I thought it might be a toroidal but it is not. The 36" flare chute I have is like a toroidal. It has the center pull down but no spill hole. I thought I had a 42" but I can't seem to find it.

I agree with you. I think the 60" chute is very light and all the weight is in the shroud lines. I do like the way the shroud lines are on the 36" and 42" chutes, but when you get them after they have been through the demilling process the lines are pretty messed. I had a few chutes break a line or two. Chances are I'll go with a Topflight Chute. I'll use the 36" chutes I have for my Initiator or some short and stubby 4" rockets I plan on building.

Back