Cesaroni Smoky Sams

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePlmbr

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Have there been issues with the 716 J280-16A 2 grain Smoky Sams? I had one ruin a case back in October 2022 at Midwest Power and a 2nd case yesterday at Thunderstruck 2023. The liners are melted to the inside of the cases and it burnt through on the 2nd case. Pictures attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20230415_180935233.jpg
    IMG_20230415_180935233.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230415_180949358.jpg
    IMG_20230415_180949358.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Sorry for your troubles, and sorry to say that it's not an issue with smokeys specifically, but it's a pervasive issue with CTI 54mm motors of all sizes and formulas.

CTI 54 shorts blow out at the nozzle/liner interface and 54 longs blow out at the front. Although it's not all of them, it seems like more and more happen every year.

Never know if you got a blowtorch or a rocket motor.

Well documented, the CTI thread is full of pics just like yours, as well as many independent threads along the way through flying season.

CTI has even acknowledged the issue to the point that they admit to having a closure re-design that needs tested.

That was several years ago. Current news.....crickets.

Gluing the fwd closure (acknowledged by CTI as effective, yet not "officially" endorsed) sorta mitigates the risk of a blow out in the longs, but we have yet to see anything substantive that's prophylactic against rear failures.

There will be more threads like this as the season progresses.....there always are.

Last edited:
I have a J449 BS from 2012 that I'm planning on flying. Am I at risk for either one of these issues? Or did these issues start after 2012?

Sorry for your troubles, and sorry to say that it's not an issue with smokeys specifically, but it's a pervasive issue with CTI 54mm motors of all sizes and formulas.

CTI 54 shorts blow out at the nozzle/liner interface and 54 longs blow out at the front. Although it's not all of them, it seems like more and more happen every year.

Never know if you got a blowtorch or a rocket motor.

Well documented, the CTI thread is full of pics just like yours, as well as many independent threads along the way through flying season.

CTI has even acknowledged the issue to the point that they admit to having a closure re-design that needs tested.

That was several years ago. Current news.....crickets.

Gluing the fwd closure (acknowledged by CTI as effective, yet not "officially" endorsed) sorta mitigates the risk of a blow out in the longs, but we have yet to see anything substantive that's prophylactic against rear failures.

There will be more threads like this as the season progresses.....there always are.

We were sorta warned years ago of what the CTI cases are best used for. https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/aerotech-ad.130185/

Back