Cesaroni Pro54 Questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racingdrum

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have a Cesaroni J140P that I'm going to use for an L2 launch. I have a couple of questions about this motor that anyone with experience will have an easy time answering:

1) There is a gap inside the motor grain housing; the motor grain does not seat flush against the nozzle and plug. When fully assembled, I can shake the motor and hear the grain banging around. Is this normal?

Also, it appears from the assembly instructions that the nozzle is supposed attached to the grain housing, though mine is not. It's loose, and even fits loosely into the grain housing tube. I haven't used the Pro54 stuff before, so I'm not sure if this is normal either.

2) The plug (attached picture) has a threaded section with an attached screw. Has anyone used this to secure an eyebolt for affixing their shock cord? This is where I had planned to mount the shock cord, but the strength of the tiny threaded section seems dubious at best.

If the eyebolt on the motor doesn't work out, I'll probably fix some sort of fibergalss bulkhead inside the fin tube with epoxy and thread my shock cord through that. Kinda an oversight but oh well.

Thanks in advance for offering any advice. Let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Attachments

• 20221001_013945.jpg
    20221001_013945.jpg
    631.2 KB · Views: 0
Here's a picture of the nozzle. It looks as if there's dried adhesive on the coupling end.

Attachments

• 20221001_021343.jpg
    20221001_021343.jpg
    889.4 KB · Views: 0
I wouldn't attach the shock cord to the motor. Great way for it to come unscrewed and unattached. I would use those threads as a way to internally retain the motor.

Everything you describe is normal. Grain rattle is normal,loose noozle is normal. I would glue the ends into the liner for added piece of mind.

Back