centering rings motor mounts LPR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatdaddynerd

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had some tips for scratch building centering rings and just hand rolled/constructed motor mounts in general. are there any easily scavenged bits out there (akin to wiper blades for motor hooks) that you guys are using for low power motor mounts?

Cut centering rings from cardboard. Cereal boxes are excellent. For 18 and 24mm motors, glue two of them together for each ring.

Cut centering rings from cardboard. Cereal boxes are excellent. For 18 and 24mm motors, glue two of them together for each ring.
Get a circle cutter to make this easier.

I bought a few inexpensive ones at Michaels a few years back so I usually keep one of them permanently set for BT-20 and use the other ones for the outer circle size.

Low power motor mounts are pretty simple. 25 years ago when I was a teenager, I sawed little bits off the end of expended motors for an engine block. Back then I used whatever non-corrugated cardboard I could find and made circles. I traced the intended body tube and cut just inside the line for the outer diameter. Back then I just eyeballed the center and traced a BT-20 in the middle, using a knife to cut it out. Now I usually use thin basswood or balsa, and use a compass to make the circle, measuring carefully.

Now, I'm just sport flier, but the truth is, the scratch rockets I made back then using towel rolls,and eyeballing the middle, seem to do every bit as well as the carefully constructed ones I make now.

For centering rings, you should be able to get some mat scraps for next to nothing at a frame shop.
These are dense and thicker similar to what many vendors use for centering ring material.
These are harder to cut though.

I was wondering if anyone had some tips for scratch building centering rings and just hand rolled/constructed motor mounts in general. are there any easily scavenged bits out there (akin to wiper blades for motor hooks) that you guys are using for low power motor mounts?

Below are a few of the different materials I've used for centering rings for just about all LPR and MPR's. Starting with the backs from Lined paper pads to file folder, Sho-card, Mat boards, Cardboard and even heavy posters. along with basswood and light ply. all can be cut with one of several compass or Beam compass style circle cutters.

Over the years I've found it most helpful to stack cut 10 to as many as 20-30 centering rings at a time using double faced masking tape, drill press and scroll or band saw to cut out and sand the stack OD then file and sand the ID. This doesn't take much longer to do then cutting rings in pairs but helps create a little on-hand stock for the next bird that needs that size centering rings. I've stack cut up a Max of 30 different pieces of various materials at the same time with this method including everything from .010" waferGlass to 3/32" basswood together. Just remember the higher the stack the more important it is to keep everything straight and level. Don't push it! let the saw or sanding drum do the work. This practice works well for Clustered motor mount rings as well but does take a good bit more time finishing:)
As seen in the second Photo below it also make sense cut stacks of OD diameter rings with a fine point center for future ID cutting of just one or two for a particular motor or tube size.

Hand rolling tubes really isn't that much trouble once you Gind, Gather, Buy mandrels that fit what you want to make. Brass and copper tubing, some PVC, even steel or wood rods or pipe can be used with either some form of "Mold Release" or wrapped with wax paper.
Spiral wrapping with heavy brown butcher paper or heavy weight white paper roll can be done on these mandrels using nothing more the watered down Elemer's white glue. Geneally a minimum of three layers are required alternating directions as you build up the tube wall thickness.
Straight seam tubes lay up the same way but are generally a bit heavier as they require an extra layer or two for rigidity. Personally I use spiral wraps for body tubes and straight seam tubes for external detailing, add-ons and surface features.

Those same 14ply Sho-Cards make pretty good LPR fins as well.

Keep your eyes open at the dollar stores, party stores and other places for anything that might be transformed into a nosecone. Candy containers, Plastic Wine Flutes, Old Legs Eggs were great! Easter eggs in a number of sizes. etc.

Centering Rings-c-sm_stack cut var. materials 2pic_06-20-05.jpg

Circle cutters-a1-sm_beam, and 2 compass types.jpg

Circle cutters-a2_3in Compass Flat spare Blades_06-20-05.jpg

Circle cutters-a3_ Stl Blade Std Drafting Compass_06-20-05.jpg

Circle cutters-b1_6in Olaf Beam Compass & Blades_03-04-03.jpg

Last edited:
great tips guys thanks. I had been using cereal boxes but the cutting was the issue. those circle cutters seem nice. i went to hobby lobby today but struck out on circle cutters and d12-3 motors... got some a10s tho and some d12-5s but i digress.
i will continue looking for a good circle cutter as i go (or order off of the interwebs) i have been hand rolling with no issue other than finding mandrels of common sizes which has left me stuck making custom nose cones. mostly paper and "found" items (some of which are not even appropriate to discuss lol) but i have bought some of that green foam board stuff from lowes and will soon start experimenting with that.

Any thoughts on using 2 liter soda bottle tops for a motor retainer?

Last edited:
They work OK. I prefer windshield wiper blade stainless retainer clips or friction fitting however.

If your having trouble making mandrels for standard size body tubes. BT-5 ID is .518" so a 1/2" (.500") hardwood dowel is almost perfect. a single wrap of wax paper taped above and below your tube length is all it takes to make up the difference.
BT-20 (ID=.710") 11/16" (.6875") with two wraps Wax paper.
BT-50 (ID=.950") 15/16" (.9375") one wrap Wax Paper will be just a bit loose.
Hope this helps some.

Unless you have extra motor hooks lying around, I wouldn't worry about retention. Just an extra step you don't need to fiddle with. Building LPR, you won't go wrong with a solid friction fit. Heck, it's always worked for me in MPR too!

I co-wrote an article on water bottle cap engine retainers for the Apogee Peak Of Flight:

great article! I wish i had read it prior to trying my hand at this guy...
20140710_162346.jpg
LOL, I think it will work alright tho. I was worried about the cap melting but it sounds like others are using them without much issue. I left the lip on mine however and i am just going to use it as a centering ring.

Back