CA Fillets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toms

Reaction score
Hello all I am building an AT Mustang. I talked to AT and they said to use CA for the fin fillets and not to use epoxy as it would be to heavy. In the past when i have used medium CA for fillets it comes out with small lumps, impossible to sand smooth.
Any tips on how to apply smoothly???
Thanks Tom

Been a while since I built my Mustang but I used 15 min. epoxy to fill the junction between the fin and body tube. I really didn't create a fillet. If you apply then smooth the epoxy into the junction you will have a seemless transition. With the fin locked into the fin lock you will not have to use much epoxy to secure them and the weight is basically zilch.

Tom... When you apply the CA do you allow it to seek it's own level or do you attempt to spread it?

If you're looking for a smooth transition from the fins to the BT, you're probably still going to need to use epoxy as there's a lot of space there to try to fill with CA. If you're just looking for structural integrity though, I wouldn't bother. I've always found CA to be more than sufficient on AT kits.

I apply the medium ca, let it set for a minute or 2 then use a toothpick or a pin and try to let the ca follow the the sharp point.
Thanks Tom

Tom,

Here is a picture of my Mustang fins. You can see the applied epoxy smoothed into the fin-tube joint creates a basicall seemless transition. Primed and painted it came out real nice.

Very nice We are going to build another AT kit and we will use epoxy.
Thanks for all the input\Tom

An epoxy fillet might add weight but there is no way a smooth layer will, that is how I would do it, I never worried about the seam on my AT kits, just left it, but a thick epoxy would be the best option...

Back