Bunnell Blast - November 12-13, 2011

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadebox

Roger Smith
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
The Northeast Florida Association of Rocketry's annual Bunnell Blast launch is coming up. It will be November 12 and 13 in Bunnell near Daytona Beach in Florida. Details are on the NEFAR web site at:

A map to the launch site is at:

I'm trying to get ready for "Bunnell Blast" but time is running too fast. I need a leap week added to the calendar before now and the 12th of November!

My parents may be coming out to watch. They haven't been to a launch yet, so I'd like to show off a little. I have a couple of Aerotech White Lighting K reloads I've been saving for Bunnell Blast and I want to use them in our Big Daddy Akavish and my YouBee.

The "Big Daddy Akavish" has been flying a little wonky since we started using more powerful motors in it. Part of the reason, I think, is that the motors are longer. Since the motor sticks down out of the top of the rocket, the longer motor is moving the CG back making the rocket less stable.

To remedy this, I've removed the coupler that was in the motor tube. It connected the top of the spider's head to the bottom half of the head. It also acted as a thrust block for the motor. Now, I can stick the motor in another six or eight inches and the motor itself acts as the coupler. A ring of tape around the motor and end of the motor tube will act as the thrust ring.

I'm also working on a way to make the ejection of the parachute a little more reliable. In the past, if the rocket arced during flight and was moving too quickly at apogee, the ejection charge would fire to separate the head of the rocket, but drag would push the head right back into place. So, the parachute wouldn't deploy and the Akavish would default to bounce recovery mode.

I'm not going to describe the fix since I think it'll look cool and I don't want to spoil the surprise.

I also have to remount the altimeter in the Akavish. I took it out to test it after it didn't fire the ejection event on the last flight. It tested fine, though, so I'm not sure why it didn't fire on the last flight. I may use a different altimeter just to be safe.

I've been doing a lot of work on my YouBee (Upscale Break Away) since it decided to try to destroy a pickup truck the last time I flew it in Tampa. But there are a few things left to do. Mostly it's little things like drilling holes for the screws to attach the electronics bay.

If I have time, I'd like to also like to get a small rocket available for the dusk/night launch. I have a collection of little LED lights we've bought over the years to put in a rocket.

Please let us know if you're coming the the Blast and what you plan to fly.

-- Roger

Last edited:
My reservations have been confirmed at the Super 8!

Still not sure what I'll be launching...

Planning to attend Saturday. Bringing:

1. Doorknob-2

2. PS Patriot

3. Doorknob (BT-80)

4. School Spirit (Big Daddy)

5. Aziz (4" Scratch)

6. Something that will burn a D15-4 or E18-4 reload.

My reservations have been confirmed at the Super 8!

Still not sure what I'll be launching...

Oh, yeah ... we still need to make reservations. Bracha's looking forward to a couple of nights at the fabulous Super 8! :)

I didn't feel well Friday so I slept in Saturday morning, missing the ROCK launch. But, I spent the rest of the weekend working on the Akavish and YouBee. Both are almost ready to fly now.

The Akavish work went smoothly, but I ran into a few problems with the YouBee. The worst was with the electronics bay. I had finished re-assembling the e-bay and discovered it wouldn't fit into the body tube of the section below it.

The e-bay is a standard payload section where the bulkheads in each end sit inside the coupler against a tune inside the coupler (a coupler coupler?). The lower bulkhead, though, was a little crooked. It was at an angle and a little off-center. That made the coupler on that end of the e-bay out-of-round.

When I took the e-bay apart, it was clear that the coupler was damaged. It had taken a beating during the last flight. I thought it would be okay, but I couldn't get the rear bulkhead to sit flat and in the center. So, I finally decided to cut a little off the end of the coupler and glue the bulkhead to it. It makes it a bit of a challenge to open and re-close the e-bay, but it works. I'll probably, though, build a new e-bay later.

I spent about two hours looking for parachutes. I had put all of my 'chutes in a box. So I knew where they were. I just couldn't remember where I had put the box. I finally found it and pulled out 'chutes to use in the two rockets. I'm going to use a new parachute in the Akavish. It's a little smaller than the one I had been using, but it's much easier to pack into the rocket. The cool RocketRage 'chute that I used to use in the Akavish will probably go into the YouBee.

-- Roger

I would *love* to be able to attend this both days but likely cannot. It's way too far to drive up both days, and at the present likely couldn't do the hotel either.

I went up there two years ago on the Saturday, and with all the delays and such, only ended up getting in four flights. Yes, those gliders flew well enough on an E, two Fs and a G, but despite having a reasonably good time felt badly as I still had six other midpower gliders unflown sitting in the car.

If I came up on ONE day only, I probably would encounter the same situation. Some of you on this Forum who may attend this event have likely never seen me before. I *might* try to come up, but things are mightily tight here.

Roger, I'll take those 'old' F21-4s for sure, and likely fly them up there if I can make it. One other thing: I'd need to get my grubby mitts on either a G64-4 or G76-4 to fly in Astron SST; that's the largest glider I can currently afford to fly at this time. Don't believe RocketsRus has any right now, does anyone else you all know will? A G75 Metalstorm would suffice, or G79 single use, but NOT a G80 since the delays are too long.

Last edited:
I don't want to jinx it, but the weather forecast for Saturday and Sunday currently calls for a high temperature of 70 degrees, no rain, and winds of less than 5 mph!

-- Roger

Here's a couple of Wildmen from today.

Shortly after this was taken, I was LCO for both flights which resulted in fresh L2 and L3 Certs.

CONGRATS all around!

https://yfrog.com/nx5qgbjj

Astron Mike..I remember you from the TTRA launches in Zephyer Hills (sic)

Folks couldn't believe when you would actually recover your motor mount..ejected from your glider.

Back