Bumble Bertha

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyg23

Reaction score
I found this in the garage and it was missing 2 fins. I made new fins from lite ply. Had the idea of painting it like a bee. My daughter said to make the 2 new fins silver like a bees wings. Once it dries I will do a launch and see how it looks in the air.

Attachments

• 20200426_155249.jpg
    20200426_155249.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 20200426_191605.jpg
    20200426_191605.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 20200428_153318.jpg
    20200428_153318.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 20200428_161332.jpg
    20200428_161332.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 20200428_163704.jpg
    20200428_163704.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 20200428_164817.jpg
    20200428_164817.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 59
Got it. For the future if you started the thread you can go to the top of the thread and click on "more options "(the three dots with the down arrow). Then you can modify the thread title.
Nice repair job. Please show us launch pics.

Got it. For the future if you started the thread you can go to the top of the thread and click on "more options "(the three dots with the down arrow). Then you can modify the thread title.
Nice repair job. Please show us launch pics.
Thanks for that. I didn't even see that row of options.

I found this in the garage and it was missing 2 fins. I made new fins from lite ply. Had the idea of painting it like a bee. My daughter said to make the 2 new fins silver like a bees wings. Once it dries I will do a launch and see how it looks in the air.

Hi, nice looking rocket. But, there could be a major problem with your repaired/new fins. You say you cut them out of lite ply? They look like ordinary balsa? The problem that I see is the direction of the grain in the wood, plus the glue joint toward the back of the fins. If that is ordinary balsa, those fins will definitely shear off along the wood grain, most likely on the first landing. If they are made of lite ply, the two new fins will most likely break along that glue joint toward the back of the fin, because the joint is not supported by, or glued to the body tube.

It would be better to cut those fins out of a single piece of wood, rather than butt-join two pieces, and cut it with the grain perpendicular to the body tube.

If you must butt-join two pieces of wood, position the joint farther forward, so the joint is glued to the body.

Well if flies great. My calculations were a bit off so it got wet. It will fly again though. I think I used to small of an engine.

Well, at least it was a landing you'll never forget ! Thanks for sharing the video, I love a good Big Bertha launch anytime

Nice launch 👍
Do you remember what motor you used on the may 7th flight? What about yesterday?
I believe may 7th was a b4-4. Might have been a b6-4. Last night was a b6-4. The 7th was windy and I am still learning about which way to angle everything. On the 7th I pointed it into the wind. That was not good as it just flattened out and didn't get much elevation.

I believe may 7th was a b4-4. Might have been a b6-4. Last night was a b6-4. The 7th was windy and I am still learning about which way to angle everything. On the 7th I pointed it into the wind. That was not good as it just flattened out and didn't get much elevation.
With big fins and a slow launch you have to be wary of weather-cocking. When you used a low impulse engine (slow liftoff) and angled it that much into the wind, the wind will push on those fins and the nose will drop. That's why it went ballistic. You rarely need to angle the rod more than a 5 degrees. If the wind is too strong it's better to abort.

When flying large rockets on low motors, I prefer to launch straight up. A stock Bertha flies really well on a C6-5. Yours with the plywood fins would be a perfect candidate for a C6 or even the recently re-release C5-3.

When flying large rockets on low motors, I prefer to launch straight up. A stock Bertha flies really well on a C6-5. Yours with the plywood fins would be a perfect candidate for a C6 or even the recently re-release C5-3.
I was going to try and get some c5-3 engines to try. I learned a lot that day.

With big fins and a slow launch you have to be wary of weather-cocking. When you used a low impulse engine (slow liftoff) and angled it that much into the wind, the wind will push on those fins and the nose will drop. That's why it went ballistic. You rarely need to angle the rod more than a 5 degrees. If the wind is too strong it's better to abort.
I didn't know that at the time, but I know now. I learned a lot that day.

Back