Bulk Sandable Primer - Air Brush/Gun

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Last Frontier

Reaction score
I am getting into air brushing and spraying.

I have not been able to find a source for sandable primer suitable for use in an air gun/air brush. For those of you that have been there done that what are you using? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank You!

where ever you pick up your brush/gun will have an automotive sandable primer. I use krylon primer out of a can (wallyworld) and brush it on. Using a brush at this stage allows a heaver coat and gives me more control of the sanding. I only use my airbrush to apply the paint and finish coats. It just seems to take too many spray coats to really cover and thats what I use the primer for.

For best coverage and sandability, you'll want to stick with a high pigment primer. Plenty of folks use the Kilz water-based primer because of its excellent sandability, however then in most cases a Thinner-based color coat is applied, and that opens a door to the possibilities of bad results. Don't get me wrong, lots of folks have good results with putting thinner-based paints over water-based, but then I've honestly seen some bad results as well.

I have been using Rustoleum White primer for a few years now. I buy it in 1 quart cans and thin it out with Lacquer thinner to accomadate the proper coverage and sprayability. When its dry and has been fully sanded (400-600 grit), I then know its safe to apply my (thinner-based) color coat. Haven't had one come out bad yet. I wouldn't reccomend using your airbrush for this but rather, a spraygun. Even properly thinned, an airbrush will frequently clog.
Regardless of which type you choose, no primer can cover imperfections in one coat. That usually takes 2-3 coats, and lots of sanding in between. How well you have sanded your rocket before "any" paint gets applied will dictate how much more painting and sanding you will need to make it perfect again.

Hope that helped.........

NAR #84102
TNRocketry

I like Kilz. For the rocket I am currently working on, I used the water-based Kilz brushed on and then on certain sections I sprayed over that with Kilz original spray paint. I would really like to figure out a way to spray Kilz, especially the original stuff, through an airbrush since it removes all brush strokes that are left behind by the brush. I will have to try to spray the water-based stuff, though.
Reed

If you have a gun (not airbrush), and can afford to make a $60 or so "investment" - use a quality catalyzed high-build auto primer like PPG K-36. You'll never go back.

It sprays well, cures very quickly (sand or topcoat ready in 45 minutes) sands very well (low buildup, especially if you wet-sand), and it is compatible with pretty much any kind of topcoat.

You do need to spray outside or (ideally) wear a cartidge type respirator. But it is far superior to rattle-can or hardware store primers. Used unthinned, it can be brushed on tubing seams or used as a pinhole filler for fiberglass.

Barry

Tip size varies, depending on the gun type, input pressure, primer type, and reducer temperature. Use the larger tips and experiment on a scrap piece of cardboard; vary the thinning ratio, input air pressure, and spray volume, holding the gun about 6" to 10" from the surface, until you get a nice, smooth application without runs. Bigger tips are good with primer, so you can spray it "thicker", but watch out for orange peel and runs (just wastes primer).

For K-36, start start out by thinning 100% to 150% and about 40-45 psi (siphon or pressure feed type gun) or 30-35 PSI (HVLP). Experiment with thinning and air pressure/paint volume adjustments from there.

It's not that complicated, you'll find a combo of settings that works for your equipment. Note them and re-use next time. Don't be afraid to practice and experiment with your gun's adjustments.

I used to use relatively inexpensive pressure and siphon type touch-up guns for spraying primer and occasionally still do - they work great for hobby projects. Harbor Freight makes a $25 touch-up gun that works great for primer (but stay away from the $65 small HVLP unit, the purple one - it sucks).

These days I pretty much exclusively use "pro" grade SATA and Devilbiss HVLP guns and the tip size will vary with what type of primer and reducer temp I am using. Typical tip size for the SATA Minijet that I dedicate for primer use is .15 mm.. This is an awesome gun for hobby and touch-up use, but pricey (around $165). I used to use the same gun for everything from primer to clear by changing the tips and spray patterns. Now I have three guns, for primer, color, and clear - no need to change anything, just switch guns (I paint 10-15 R/C models - now rockets - per year, it's well worth it to me).

BTW, it was a pain learning to paint and finish well, and buying good equipment, but the attached picture shows what you can do once you become proficient....that's a $5K paint job done in my garage for about $450 in materials and 60 or so hours of labor.

:cool:

Barry

Wow...!!! That's nice...

I really like those wheels...

My wishlist has always included wire, but I could learn to change...LOL...!!!

Latest posts

Back