BT-60 U.S.S. Atlantis with canted cluster mount

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishhead

Huge Member
Reaction score
I picked up a Deuce-style engine mount from the Flis Kits booth at NARCON, and then spent two months trying to figure out what to use it in. Inspiration was at a low ebb and I was thinking about a Big Bertha when I realized that I could always upscale an existing design. From there things hit high gear as the U.S.S. Atlantis emerged as the obvious choice.

The engine mount was an incredibly easy build and even looked good after my butchery. This is a first class piece of work, but when I went looking last night, it wasn't listed as available on the website. Jim?

An Estes Screaming Mimi was the donor kit for the project. Just needed to find some 1/8" balsa, Kevlar and elastic for the shock cord, and some BT-55 for the pod tubes. At this point I still had people guessing.

This was the shot that gave it away. In hindsight I would have put the large top piece of balsa on AFTER I had sanded and sealed the pod braces, but I got excited.

You wouldn't believe the threats it took to get that smile. :rolleyes: Pre-teens! SHEESH! (Good thing I have allowance to hold over her head.)

The thing I wanted most out of this project was a launch pic with one of those cool Duece-style exhaust trails. Despite the windy, unpredictable day, I managed this one on a pair of C6-5s.
Progress has since stalled, but so has progress on everything else. I may get some more work done on it tomorrow, but my plans aren't high in the family pecking order.

Almost forgot this one. Six feet of Kevlar and elastic make for a cool recovery pic.

That's looks really cool!!! Maybe we should just take all of our favorite rockets and build 'em with the Duece MMT.

Hey, that sounds like a good idea... maybe an upscale Quark? I'd try it with a Mosquito, but I'd need a Tres MMT (for BT-60)... Mr Flis? ;) Nice rocket!

Originally posted by Fishhead
The engine mount was an incredibly easy build and even looked good after my butchery. This is a first class piece of work, but when I went looking last night, it wasn't listed as available on the website. Jim?

yep, i looked into that... when we first announced it, it was going to be a special avail during the Deuce-Bash. We then decided to simply offer it, along with the mini and the maxi, but I neglected to move it from the Deuce Bash pages to the parts section. I will fix that tonight.

jim

Great job! I remember commenting when I first saw that launch shot that it reminded me of the star ship enterprise in that ST episode where they go back in time to 1969... :D

way kewl

Very nicely done! I have been trying to decide which rocket to build with the Deuce engine mount kit. Definitely a lot of kits to choose from since they come in BT55, BT60 and BT70 sizes. I am surprised that we haven't sold more at the store.

Best regards,
Brian

Jim,

You must have been reading my mind! I thought the exact same thing when I saw that recovery pic :D

Awesome build, Bill. Looking forward to seeing the eventual finished product!

-Kitch

"This is BlueJay 4...I'm approaching the target"
-Capt. Christopher

Atlantis with a Duece motor mount: great idea. How about a BT-60 Trident with a Tres 3 motor mount?

I might get around to building a Trident clone some time next decade (that building list is growing faster than I can build them).

Great looking rocket and nice pictures.
Cheers
fred

Back