BT-55 Nosecone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are only a handful plastic BT-55 nose cones, but a lot more made from balsa...and you could always get a 3D printed version.

Where to buy depends on what you shape/type you need.

Fairly sure Mach1Rocketry has these in plastic. They have a decent rocket series with BT55 bodies.

If you need Balsa, BalsaMachining is probably the go-to.

I will need a bunch, so I was just wondering if anyone had a prefered source re. quality and cost.

If you're looking for a bunch all the same, it might be a good excuse to get a resin printer and make them yourself, whatever design you want. Several decent nose cone generators out there.

I didn't see any BT-55 nose cone available on their site....
Hmm.

I'd call them. They have the better part of a dozen designs that are BT55.

https://www.mach1rocketry.com/bt55-rockets
I suspect they may sell the noses trimmed to fit Mach1 Fiberglass, if they have them, even if they have no BT55 Nose item on their website. I've bought parts from them in the past, including nose cones, but usually e-bay components. Whether they can handle a large order of noses, is a different question.

If they can't do it, let us know.

Hmm.

I'd call them. They have the better part of a dozen designs that are BT55.

https://www.mach1rocketry.com/bt55-rockets
I suspect they may sell the noses trimmed to fit Mach1 Fiberglass, if they have them, even if they have no BT55 Nose item on their website. I've bought parts from them in the past, including nose cones, but usually e-bay components. Whether they can handle a large order of noses, is a different question.

If they can't do it, let us know.
They have them. Blow moulded plastic. $4 and $7 shipping. Not sure on quantity.

Blow moulded plastic or 3D printed or Balsa -- any preference anyone?

It depends.

Blow molded is probably cheapest to buy. Filling the seams can be annoying.

Balsa is probably available as a stocking item in the greatest variety of shapes. Filling the grain can be annoying.

3D printed has very low material cost can be anything you want it to be, so it's probably the way if you're particular about a design. But if you don't have a printer, it may get expensive. I'd also only consider resin at BT-55 size, not filament.

Also, kinda curious what your purpose is with this project. You don't seem overly particular about the design at this point. Why not just buy a bunch of PNC-55 packs from ACSupply? It has two each of the Cherokee secant ogive and Black Brant conical NCs for a good price.

Last edited:
Also,

Have to be honest. The Bt-55 is a pretty cool rocket size for serious low power and some mid-power junk.

My favorite is a Mach1 Blackbird in that size. It has taken some rough rides. It tends to be there (and gets used) when the weather is cruddy and I have a very low ceiling.

It depends.

Blow molded is probably cheapest to buy. Filling the seams can be annoying.

Balsa is probably available as a stocking item in the greatest variety of shapes. Filling the grain can be annoying.

3D printed has very low material cost can be anything you want it to be, so it's probably the way if you're particular about a design. But if you don't have a printer, it may get expensive. I'd also only consider resin at BT-55 size, not filament.

Also, kinda curious what your purpose is with this project. You don't seem overly particular about the design at this point. Why not just buy a bunch of PNC-55 packs from ACSupply? It has two each of the Cherokee secant ogive and Black Brant conical NCs for a good price.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and I agree, I hate how hard it can be to get a nice finish on a balsa nose cone. Grrr... And as far as the rocket design is concerned, I have a final design already in hand, but I am focused on quality, quality, quality of component parts -- and the nosecone is just next on the list. If I could get a fiberglass nose cone like the one at Mach 1 Rocketry, I would do it in a second -- those are beautiful -- but they don't make them that in 55mm.

1698172559103.png

"erockets.biz", otherwise known as "Semroc" (Made in the USA in Ohio) has LOADS of different sizes and shapes of nose cones, especially in odd sizes from all sorts of vintage discontinued Centuri and Estes kits. Most are balsa but last time I looked they had plenty of plastic nose cones as well. The balsa used is often lower density and benefits from CA or epoxy sometimes (and putting a dowel in for mounting the eyelet screw). I've been rather pleased with the parts I get from them for the scratch-building I like to do.

Apogee from Colorado is often full of parts and has more plastic cones than balsa, a lot from China (like everywhere), but I like using their parts for scratch builds also and they make/laser-cut most of their wood, plywood and heavy card-stock items themselves.

Hope that's of some use - Paul

@COSTransplant --

I recently bought a couple of these eRockets: SEMROC BALSA NOSE CONE BT-55 6.0" OGIVE SEM-BNC-55G4 for a scratch BT-55 Rocket

And then I found the Apogee: PNC-33 which come 2-in-an-order.

Both nose cones are very nice and either one would have worked for the rocket I had in mind.

I went with the Apogee PNC-33 because it is hollow and lighter and it is white and translucent so I could use it for night launches if I am ever so inclined or maybe for a GPS when I eventually get there.

HTH.

-- kjh

EDIT: I just noticed you need a bunch of them ... both of the above are pricey ... maybe a phone call for the good-guy-discount is in order ?

Last edited:
Back