• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Found blacksky Optimal 65 or 100

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoyoteNumber2

Original San Diego High Power Rocketry
Reaction score
This is probably a long shot, but I am looking for a blacksky / Black Sky Research Optimal 65 or Optimal 100. An unbuilt kit would be ideal, but I might consider a built one in good condition.

This is probably a long shot, but I am looking for a blacksky / Black Sky Research Optimal 65 or Optimal 100. An unbuilt kit would be ideal, but I might consider a built one in good condition.
If I remember right, Paul went up with Scotty when he cleaned out his storage unit- check with him. Killer rockets back in the day.

If I remember right, Paul went up with Scotty when he cleaned out his storage unit- check with him. Killer rockets back in the day.

I called Scott when he was cleaning house. He didn't have any kits but said he would send me some fins. No fins ever arrived.

I have an Optimal 38 that I fly at every launch. Is there any parts similarity? I won't part with it, but the metal fin fan is identical to that from Hawk Mountain.

[emoji1010] Steve Shannon [emoji1010]

I have an Optimal 38 that I fly at every launch. Is there any parts similarity? I won't part with it, but the metal fin fan is identical to that from Hawk Mountain.

I think the Optimal 102-38 was the only one to use a one-piece fin can. The 65 and 100 had individual metal fins that attached with screws.

Last edited:
I have an old battle hardened Optimal 65 (not for sale...my Dad won it at the Springfest raffle in 95 or so). It came with the screw on fins....what a crappy set up. They are now glued on!

I have an entire series of highly detailed pics I took of mine [O 65 4 inch] to show assembly. Some one I knew had one with no instructions Here are a few, so folks can see all the parts. They were made for schools so they could be assembled by students and teachers that had no rocket skills. Everything just bolted/screwed together & man there were a ton of parts. The aluminum extrusions were just sections that are used as cores for roll out awnings. This I now for sure, after replacing the canvas on one [awning] years later. The metal plates on ends, were just electrical box cover blanks used to cover outlets [round ones] commercial units.

I sold the fincan, but may have all the guts and upper payload section. The big design flaw was the plastic tubing [some type of blue polycarbonate?] would rot/deteriorate if you did not wipe out the BP residue after every flight.

Not knowing this after my first season [5 flight] on I-357 motors I put her up. When I picked it up next season, my thumb went through the side of airframe, like rotted wood under paint. It was toast. You could see inside where the BP residue was, the plastic had changed color and was brittle. Only those area's.

Here's some pics showing motor retention and interior fin can assembly. I have many more showing all parts assembly if anyone cares to see I'll post them.

If I still have them, you are welcome to all the parts I have. Pay the shipping and you can build one. All you need would be fins-fincan tube- NC [Nc was just a LOC or Public Missles plastic 4in. Fin cans are still around, they were HawkMountain...types 1. with holes in spacers like mine, and other versions solid i think. I was told the tubes were a common item [gutter drains maybe] don't recall.

Anyhow.......
101_0228.jpg 101_0210.jpg 101_0212.jpg

101_0216.jpg 101_0222.jpg 101_0223.jpg

101_0224.jpg 101_0230.jpg

Gives ya idea how it all worked.

Mike Denett [CTI] & I were going to fly it minimum diameter with a N-1100 long burn at LDRS 24, after too many cocktails. We tried pounding that damn motor in for an hour, to no avail. [after removing the guts] He said he would donate the motor, if I donated the rocket.. We got it in 2-3 inches, but just would not stretch enough, so we finished the Jack Daniels and called it a night.
That whole escapade would have made a 1 million hit You-Tube video....LOL

Last edited:
See the pinkish brown discoloration. I thin it was caused by humidity mixing with BP residue forming mild acid. They weren't cheap, I think it was 250.00 and that was 2003 dollars! Great little well though out design. Mt buddy had one to travel with when flying to launches.
Just unbolt the fincan and throw all the parts in luggage.

101_0232.jpg 101_0233.jpg 101_0241.jpg

Last edited:
So everyone can see what I'm talking about, here's the original ad from 1996. The "Optimal 102-38" sold in 2005 was an entirely different rocket.

Scan0011.jpg

I have an entire series of highly detailed pics I took of mine [O 65 4 inch] to show assembly. Some one I knew had one with no instructions Here are a few, so folks can see all the parts. They were made for schools so they could be assembled by students and teachers that had no rocket skills. Everything just bolted/screwed together & man there were a ton of parts. The aluminum extrusions were just sections that are used as cores for roll out awnings. This I now for sure, after replacing the canvas on one [awning] years later. The metal plates on ends, were just electrical box cover blanks used to cover outlets [round ones] commercial units.

I sold the fincan, but may have all the guts and upper payload section. The big design flaw was the plastic tubing [some type of blue polycarbonate?] would rot/deteriorate if you did not wipe out the BP residue after every flight.

Not knowing this after my first season [5 flight] on I-357 motors I put her up. When I picked it up next season, my thumb went through the side of airframe, like rotted wood under paint. It was toast. You could see inside where the BP residue was, the plastic had changed color and was brittle. Only those area's.

Here's some pics showing motor retention and interior fin can assembly. I have many more showing all parts assembly if anyone cares to see I'll post them.

If I still have them, you are welcome to all the parts I have. Pay the shipping and you can build one. All you need would be fins-fincan tube- NC [Nc was just a LOC or Public Missles plastic 4in. Fin cans are still around, they were HawkMountain...types 1. with holes in spacers like mine, and other versions solid i think. I was told the tubes were a common item [gutter drains maybe] don't recall.

Anyhow.......
View attachment 292866 View attachment 292867 View attachment 292868

View attachment 292869 View attachment 292870 View attachment 292871

View attachment 292872 View attachment 292873

Gives ya idea how it all worked.

Mike Denett [CTI] & I were going to fly it minimum diameter with a N-1100 long burn at LDRS 24, after too many cocktails. We tried pounding that damn motor in for an hour, to no avail. [after removing the guts] He said he would donate the motor, if I donated the rocket.. We got it in 2-3 inches, but just would not stretch enough, so we finished the Jack Daniels and called it a night.
That whole escapade would have made a 1 million hit You-Tube video....LOL

My Optimal 38 appears to be identical to Jim's Optimal 65, except for the motor mount tube. It hasn't rotted yet, but I'll wash it out next week.
The four inch polycarbonate on mine is just slightly different, undersize, than standard rocketry four inch tubing. A PML nosecone will not go in.
I launch it twice a month, but I probably should retire it.

So everyone can see what I'm talking about, here's the original ad from 1996. The "Optimal 102-38" sold in 2005 was an entirely different rocket.

View attachment 292888

Wow...never seen one of those.

Steve, you may never have any issues. Here in Savannah , humidity can be at 100% for weeks at a time. Mine was stored out side in a shed making matters worse. It gets like a steam Sauna around here.

It has proven to be very resilient. We have a lot of fin smashing rocks in the ground at our launch site. I have to straighten out the fins every so often. I have a dead-blow hammer I bring to the launches just for that. [emoji1008]

Last edited:
To add to the thread on the "OG"Optimal 65 the airframe was made to accommodate the 65mm HyperTek oxidizer tank. It could also use standard 54 and 38mm motors with provided adapters.

I vividly recall Scott Bartel trying out a J800BT in one and turning it inside-out on itself. Good times!

Bumpity bump. Still looking. If you have one, even built, send me a message and name your price.

Back