Binder Design Exocet

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike is that the nosecone you used for the prototype Velociraptor?

No, the Velociraptor has the RWW cone we still use. All the early Binder Design kits used the ACE cones, but I switched them over to RWW right away. Those early cones were known to implode under high thrust unless filled with expanding foam.

No, the Velociraptor has the RWW cone we still use. All the early Binder Design kits used the ACE cones, but I switched them over to RWW right away. Those early cones were known to implode under high thrust unless filled with expanding foam.

Thanks!

KenECoyote'll probably thank you for that little bit of information too.

thank you for that little bit of information too. :)

I had actually noticed the first time I pulled out the nose cone that it was surprisingly soft and "squishy" (reminded me of the softness of an AT G-Force cone, but maybe even a bit more). I can't imagine adding in 1/2 pound of weight in the tip without any further support...like a lead weight on top of a noodle and may explain the early implosions.

Foam fill is an Excellent idea! It can also anchor in that nose weight. I may use it if I don't go with the Coyote "use bt, rod and Bondo" Exocet nose fix method - I would think that should fix the issue; however I'll have to test the nose cone to see if it can be glued with CA or something else. If it is PP plastic or similar, that becomes an issue and may need to use more rods (or even rivets and then HEDD?).

thank you for that little bit of information too. :)

I had actually noticed the first time I pulled out the nose cone that it was surprisingly soft and "squishy" (reminded me of the softness of an AT G-Force cone, but maybe even a bit more). I can't imagine adding in 1/2 pound of weight in the tip without any further support...like a lead weight on top of a noodle and may explain the early implosions.

Foam fill is an Excellent idea! It can also anchor in that nose weight. I may use it if I don't go with the Coyote "use bt, rod and Bondo" Exocet nose fix method - I would think that should fix the issue; however I'll have to test the nose cone to see if it can be glued with CA or something else. If it is PP plastic or similar, that becomes an issue and may need to use more rods (or even rivets and then HEDD?).

One thing that might work is to also add an AV bay to the nosecone. If you make it with a thick walled, full length, piece of body tube, you could make your weight adjustable, based on whatever you put in the payload section. I would still fill the space around the bay with foam, just less of it.

Hey, how about it?! A vintage, "one-of-a-kind" Binder Exocet! Lots of parts here, including a few extra pieces so I can do dual deploy--will be fun!

Thanks Mike!

IMG_2194.jpg

That Block 3 is sharp. I feel a two stage in the works.

I worked with Mike on a concept for the Exocet MM40 Block 3, and it was determined that it'd be too hard to kit. It might not be too hard to scratch, but kitting would take too much work, and violated one of Binder Design's parameters (no weight in the nose to be stable).

Hey, how about it?! A vintage, "one-of-a-kind" Binder Exocet! Lots of parts here, including a few extra pieces so I can do dual deploy--will be fun!

Thanks Mike!

View attachment 275720

Glad it made it ok. As you've probably noted, I made some improvements to the original kit based on what I have on hand. I'm so glad this went to somebody who will appreciate it. It is the last Exocet to come off the line. Enjoy your kit and thank you!! :)

So, I just saw the Binder Design website for the first time due to this thread! Thanks a lot! I saw at least 4 rockets I would love to put my hands on! Will you be participating in Black Friday deals by any chance??

So, I just saw the Binder Design website for the first time due to this thread! Thanks a lot! I saw at least 4 rockets I would love to put my hands on! Will you be participating in Black Friday deals by any chance??

Thanks for checking us out! We are discussing what we want to do for BF, no decision on what deal we will be running just yet. I like to give customers what they want so I'm open for suggestions. :)

Thanks for checking us out! We are discussing what we want to do for BF, no decision on what deal we will be running just yet. I like to give customers what they want so I'm open for suggestions. :)

Well...if I had my choice, it would be the bat, the bat with dual deploy, the velociraptor, and the dragonfly! My husband also likes the The Tyrannosaur!

Glad it made it ok. As you've probably noted, I made some improvements to the original kit based on what I have on hand. I'm so glad this went to somebody who will appreciate it. It is the last Exocet to come off the line. Enjoy your kit and thank you!! :)

That is really cool, Mike!

By the way... I still have all the original files for instructions, templates, decals, etc....

That is really cool, Mike!

By the way... I still have all the original files for instructions, templates, decals, etc....

Thanks Scott! I was able to recreate everything from archived materials, but certainly wouldn't turn down the original files. :)

Discussed with Mike. I am going to move closer to a scale version on this MM-38. Kit dimensions originally done by Scott Binder tended to be longer with more rear fin area. This was likely to make sure it was stable without too much nose weight. In the end I'm cutting about 6" from the overall length, making sure I get the ratios right (NC, payload, fin root, fin spacing, etc.) and about 1/2" off the aft fin semi-span.

Also comparing as many actual photos I could find, the conical nosecone shape seems to be an anomaly with it really only evident in one cross-section line drawing and more predominately in the Launch Pad kit of the same name. So I will be reshaping the nosecone to move to a 1.2:1 secant shape more typical of what is seen with a Harpoon missile but not quite as stubby.

Exocet_Binder4_v3_3D.jpg

Exocet_Binder4_v3.jpg

Last edited:
Discussed with Mike. I am going to move closer to a scale version on this MM-38. Kit dimensions originally done by Scott Binder tended to be longer with more rear fin area. This was likely to make sure it was stable without too much nose weight. In the end I'm cutting about 6" from the overall length, making sure I get the ratios right (NC, payload, fin root, fin spacing, etc.) and about a 1/2" aft fin semi-span.

Also comparing as many actual photos I could find, the conical nosecone shape seems to be an anomaly with it really only evident in one cross-section line drawing and more predominately in the Launch Pad kit of the same name. So I will be reshaping the nosecone to move to a 1.2:1 secant shape more typical of what is seen with a Harpoon missile.

Please do a build thread. I'd be very interested in seeing what you come up with.

Please do a build thread. I'd be very interested in seeing what you come up with.

I tell you, I have so many build threads started and moving slowly... Maybe I should just consolidate and step through them a little at a time over the Winter. Let's see I'd probably bundle all the traditional (non-FG/CF) builds, so it would be at least three: 1) Rocket R&D Corporal, my scratch 10" dia. Cherokee, and this Binder Exocet.

I tell you, I have so many build threads started and moving slowly... Maybe I should just consolidate and step through them a little at a time over the Winter. Let's see I'd probably bundle all the traditional (non-FG/CF) builds, so it would be at least three: 1) Rocket R&D Corporal, my scratch 10" dia. Cherokee, and this Binder Exocet.

A great motivator is a competition...how about we do the first ever (I think) "build thread drag race"! LOL

A great motivator is a competition...how about we do the first ever (I think) "build thread drag race"! LOL

Actually, maybe that isn't such a bad idea. If we start it in January and we both add to the thread, it would be really interesting seeing how the two different builds go and progress. I've seen a review on Rocket Reviews similar where two guys both built the same kit (Madcow Squat) and it was very interesting. :)

Here's the review so you can see what I'm referring to: https://www.rocketreviews.com/madcow-rocketry-squat-by-howard-smart-and-todd-mullin.html

Last edited:
That looks good! What are you using?

Did about 10 wraps of various widths of 6oz. FG to get the basic shape and now have applied SuperFil. After it cures (I usually wait 8 hours) I will sand to shape. Probably a 50-50 chance I'll get it right the first time but the second application of SuperFil will typically only be very small areas.

Nose cone reshaping in progress...

attachment.php

Looks like a good start. Thanks for sharing that.

Back