Binder Design Devastator build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madison Alum

Reaction score
Started on my Binder Design Devastator. I picked this because it just looks so cool! Plan on using it to get my feet wet in avionics and maybe for my level 2 certification. Kit comes with about everything you need for motor deploy and with BD's avionics bay package, easily convertible/upgradable to dual deploy.

So far I have gotten the motor retainer, thrust plate and aft centering ring installed and the main fins beveled. Next up is the fin can build. This may be a while as work is once again demonstrating why it is called work. Not shown are the swivels,quick connects, chute, rail buttons and decals. Like I said, a great kit that comes with everything you need for a motor deploy build.

100_2505a.jpg

*subscribed* :pop:

I have a handful of Binder Design kits - always received a high quality, well packaged kit. In fact, I picked up a California Kid a few months ago when Mike was running a sale around Christmas. As soon as my L3 build is complete, I'll start on it. Might post a build thread, as I haven't seen any out there on that kit.

So far I haven't used any 54mm motors in any of mine, I always adapt down to 38mm. Now that I have a GPS tracker I can start pushing them harder, maybe try a small "K" in my Excel dual deploy.

Looking forward to some pics of your build!

Well, managed to survive work, replace the drum bearing in my washing machine, loose all the aerotech engine data in my Rocksim program and redownload it all. Not much accomplished on the Devastator but finishing cutting out the fin slots (came with the long cuts done, so only needed to cut the ends) and dry fitting the fins. Picture attached. Hopefully I will get the chance to do some more on this in the upcoming week. This is a sweet rocket, even in the unfinished dry fit state.

100_2508a.jpg

Was able to get some more done on the Devastator over the last couple of weeks. Fin can assembled and inserted into the body tube. Next up is the fin stiffeners. Maybe I'll finish this in time to launch before the end of the year. Not much time for rocketry of late.

100_2509a.jpg

Fin stiffeners in place. Need to break the edges and apply fillets. Then sustainer will be pretty much done except for paint and rail buttons. Pretty soon I'll be trying my hand at constructing the avionics bay. Spitting snow here today and a small drift/pile of powder next to the gas pump. This weekend is calling for a warmup, so of course, it's time to work. But if I ever get to level 2, I'm pretty sure the money will come in handy.

100_2512a.jpg

Back to it after a long delay. Avionics bay pretty much done. Tested out the altimeter with a vaccum cleaner to one of the vent holes to activate. Both drogue and main fired. Now some primer and then ground testing of the ejection charges. Hopefully work will align with club launch dates and I'll get to launch this this year.

Well, I think it's safe to say the glue is dry now... :D

You said "long delay." Nations have been born and overthrown in the same time as your "delay." :p

A little more progress today, testing the ejection charges. Used 1.4 grams for main and drogue. Drogue seperated with authority, although there was a couple of seconds delay between removing the vacuum and the charge going off. Main seperated, but charge didn't seem as powerful and the chute did not pull out of body tube. Didn't have time to try again with a bigger charge. Not sure why there was a delay on the drogue charge. I have all of the vent holes taped over except the one I put the vacuum on and the hole is kind of ratty on the inside. Maybe the vacuum is pulling the cardboard pieces closed keeping the tube from repressurising. Altimeter is not indicating an apogee delay. Main charge shows an even greater delay, and I verified I had the drogue and main charges hooked up to the right altimeter outputs. Will clean up vent holes and retry. Also may move the main attachment point closer to the altimeter bay. Got another month before first launch of season, so will be working on this some more. Still need to paint it, too.

Soak the holes with CA and run the drill bit back through them by hand. A quick sanding inside and out, and you'll have nice crisp vent holes.

Thanks, I will give it a try. Then retest with the vacuum and an igniter. My current source for powder seems to have dried up, so will limit ground testing to the main. Drogue came apart really well, just what I considered late.

Drogue seperated with authority, although there was a couple of seconds delay between removing the vacuum and the charge going off. .......Not sure why there was a delay on the drogue charge.

Likely, with only one hole that you drew vacuum through, you activated the mach lock out in the software. What happens is that pressure drops so much so fast that the computer thinks that it's speed is over mach, locks out deployment functions until pressure changes drop to below mach calculated values, then allows deployment. That takes a few seconds to happen and explains your delay.

Thanks for looking and helping. Figured out how to download files from the altimeter finally, but not sure what the velocity units are. I would guess either mph or fps, probably mph. Will try to post the file from the drogue test. PDF file attached, but don't know how to display the open file. Would have to say a plugged vent hole is not the issue, as the coming down part is as abrupt as the going up. Maybe it sees 2 mach events. Any thought would be appreciated.
Thanks again.
John

View attachment Flight5.pdf

Attended the Wright Stuff Rocketeers launch near Cedarville Ohio yesterday and finally got to launch my Devastator. Going up was great. Drogue came out at apogee but the main did not deploy (charge went off, body separated from the altimeter bay, but chute decided to stay in the tube). Fortunately it landed in a somewhat soft field and suffered no major damage that I could see. Also launched my Excel 38 and had the same issue. (Was not dual deploy, but chute didn't come out) I think the Excel problem came from the nose being too loose and blowing out before the chute got pushed out. Definitely didn't separate early. Anyways, it landed intact as well and I'll have to relook at my chute packing before next time. Was a pretty cold day, but not a lot of wind. Found the blue masking tape doesn't stick to much of anything very well in the cold. Devastator on an ATJ460T and the Excel 38 on an AT I218R. My first time building a 54mm motor and had to use a few choice words to get the liner/liner oring/nozzle into the casing, but eventually got it together, without major frost bite on the fingers. First attempt at dual deploy, as well. Pictures are kind of blurry, but like the Loch Ness monster, it happened.

IMG_2572.jpg

IMG_2587.jpg

IMG_2590.jpg

We launched in the cold this weekend too. Everyone had problems with chutes deploying properly, particularly for the people who prepped their rockets the night before. It just seems like things are just prone to getting stuck in the cold.

Love the Devastator! Definitely on my wish list.

the main did not deploy (charge went off, body separated from the altimeter bay, but chute decided to stay in the tube).

This is usually caused by attaching the chute too far from the part being ejected. Chute should be attached to the harness just a few feet from the part being ejected to ensure it gets pulled out of the tube.

Thanks. I will move the attachment point closer to the av bay next time I launch. It did this once when I ground tested it, but then I moved it closer and upped the charge a bit and it came out great, so I figured I was Ok. Fortunately, the field wasn't frozen solid so the landing was not too bad. Scraped a little dirt off of the back and ready to go again.

More BP, or Z-fold your harnesses to prevent tangling and sticking in the payload bay.

Put the Devastator up in the air again yesterday. Drove it up to the field on Saturday, which was a beautiful day only to discover that I had left my motors sitting on the table at home, where I had placed them the night before so i wouldn't forget them. Getting old? Sunday was still a great day, but a little windier. Launched in about 14mph winds. Ripped off of the pad on it's way to 4133 ft (my personal best to date) on an AT J800T. Chute came out at 700 feet, but was a little tangled. Landed in the grass across the road from AMA's Site one, but not a long walk. Recovered with no damage. Bought another J800T and a J415W to go for the next time. Took some pictures with a new camera but discovered that with the same operator, the results were the same. A nice sitting on the pad shot.

P1010535 (2).JPG

Back