Big Bertha, Engine Tubes, Length

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArthurAstroCam

Reaction score
I was up on YouTube last night, watching various Big Bertha builds. Some of the seemingly otherwise "stock" rockets came with a much longer engine tube than the much shorter one mine came with. Believe me, I am not "complaining", at all. Just was curious if this was a production run change, or if the guys building bought an optional longer engine tube.

I was up on YouTube last night, watching various Big Bertha builds. Some of the seemingly otherwise "stock" rockets came with a much longer engine tube than the much shorter one mine came with. Believe me, I am not "complaining", at all. Just was curious if this was a production run change, or if the guys building bought an optional longer engine tube.

There are various threads on this topic. HERE is among the latest.

Yes, motor tube length has changed over the years, although it might also be whatever the kit packer had on hand at the time. ;) I prefer the longer tube, sometimes referred to as a stuffer tube. The advantages are less internal airframe volume for the ejection charge to pressurize and keeping the wadding and recovery device on the right side of the center of gravity in the forward end of the airframe.

Yes, motor tube length has changed over the years, although it might also be whatever the kit packer had on hand at the time. ;) I prefer the longer tube, sometimes referred to as a stuffer tube. The advantages are less internal airframe volume for the ejection charge to pressurize and keeping the wadding and recovery device on the right side of the center of gravity in the forward end of the airframe.
Is the stuffer tube now available as an option? Not sure how easy or difficult it may be to do a partial rebuild to incorporate one. or, if it is even worth the effort.

Is the stuffer tube now available as an option? Not sure how easy or difficult it may be to do a partial rebuild to incorporate one. or, if it is even worth the effort.
Rather than rebuild I would save it for your next Bertha. The kit in the '70s used an 8.65 inch length of 18mm diameter tube. You'll also want centering rings for a BT-20 inside a BT-60. I think by now you have enough links for our fine vendors that you can search for these items if you want.

1643300497007.png

1643300847112.png

Rather than rebuild I would save it for your next Bertha. The kit in the '70s used an 8.65 inch length of 18mm diameter tube. You'll also want centering rings for a BT-20 inside a BT-60. I think by now you have enough links for our fine vendors that you can search for these items if you want.

View attachment 501829

View attachment 501830
Looking at Boosted Bertha maybe as a next build.

Back