Big 70 V3!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdjsky01

Kim's Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Long time ago, in a another life, yes really, in a way, I built like a clone'ish of the Semroc SLS Hustler rocket. Big 70. BT-70 to BT80. Balsa transition and nose cone.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/scra-launch-report-for-2014-01-04.61740/post-650828
Then it re-kitted itself. And I built a V2 with 6 fins
Of course it re-kitted itself.

All these years I have kept the payload section. Back then a BMS nose cone and transition were cheap. But still, it was worth keeping.

Now I have reborn Big-70. When I built the DynaStar Rip Roar I replaced the fins with basswood... what to do with the 1/8 inch balsa fins... what to do... what to do...???

Ah ha! Big-70 V3.

Big-70_V3-00002.JPG

Big-70_V3-00001.JPG

I like that Big-70 Reloaded; it's a shame it rekitted. Looks like this will be a worthy successor. (I also love that Darkside-X. 😍)

Upon reading the thread title, I thought you were making an imaginary Verner von Braun V3 rocket. Now I want to sketch up what some evolution from the V2 might have been, other than just an upscale.

Last edited:
So today I broke out the Stika vinyl cutter my wonderful spouse, Kim ( 😭 ) bought me, unbeknownst to me at the time, as a gift. We saw it together at one of the first (I think) AMA West shows in Ontario CA. I told her "Wow that is cool!" And gave it nary a 2nd thought. Of course Xmas came and boom there is was. THAT was Kim. Always a cheerleader for my hobbies.

Anyway I cut some simple design for the Big-70 fins. I didn't 'quite' get the outline right. But no one will care at 5 to 7 meters away.

IMG_3585.jpg

IMG_3586.JPG

All that is left is to put some 'interest' decals on the tube, scape a little paint, and add the standoffs with buttons.
And yes... I will not skip this... I shed more than a few tears doing this. Sorry but I did.

It is really time consuming to paint such things. Simple vinyl cuts make it look great without too much work
I would not attempt that paint pattern, not even on 3 fins. I've tackled some complicated patterns for the sake of recreating a catalog picture, it's close to what I would consider unusual punishment.

I started with a picture of a V2 I found via Google; I have no idea where it came from. I put that into MS Visio, which is undoubtedly far from the best tool for the job, but it's the tool I know. I made several copies, cropped and rearranged them, scaled one, added some new bits that are just draw as line segments (those are the grey bits) and there you have it.

I started with a picture of a V2 I found via Google; I have no idea where it came from. I put that into MS Visio, which is undoubtedly far from the best tool for the job, but it's the tool I know. I made several copies, cropped and rearranged them, scaled one, added some new bits that are just draw as line segments (those are the grey bits) and there you have it.
My first reaction was"Oh man I wanna build that" so, Good Job!

Back