best tube for fibreglassing?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketkyle

Reaction score
This might have been covered before, but the search revieled nothing.
I have fibreglassed some LOC tubes, and they glass real well. I really like the idea of them soaking up the resin. But I want something a lot thinner, and I would like to try glassing GLR Phlexible Phenolic. I guess I could peel about half of the paper off of a LOC tube...but I don't want to.

What is the best tube for fibreglassing? Or should I make/order 100% fibreglass tubes instead? I am going to make a 38mm minimum diameter rocket for Southern Thunder 2006 (if money allows- Canon Elura 80 DVR is first on my list [$400]). It may have to wait until after my birthday, so I can round up some more money.

I just finished a fiberglassed rocket using GLR Phenolic. They glassed very well, especially since it was my first glassing job. If you're looking for tubes 'thinner' than LOC, the GLR tubes are not what you want. They are pretty thick. I haven't used genuine LOC tubes yet, but compared to other rockets I have made from paper tubes (Public Enemy & BSD), the GLR phenolics are thicker.

You want thin? I dont know exactly what brand it is, but Andy Woerner of whats up hobbies (and polecat aerospace) has some LOC style tubes but they are VERY thin, I peeled off the glassline and it was like an estes tube (2.5" diameter tube), light glass made it a little stiffer but I could still flex it, then a layer of medium CF and it was rock solid, end result was a little thicker then PML tubing so probably about the same as LOC tubing (after the glass was applied...)

Here may be a good tube. It is a kraft tube like Loc but with no layer to remove. It is ready to go and you don't lose no thickness as compared to having to remove a layer.

https://www.rocketdynesys.com./

Also, check that price out!!!

Back