Best spray paint for low ventilation areas?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketRoll

Reaction score
I live in an apartment and have had trouble in the past with enamel spray paint that has stunk me out of house and home for weeks. I do my painting outside (obviously), but unfortunately I have no place for the paint to dry but inside my apartment. The off-gassing has been a huge problem, and I've had to do some pretty crazy things to make the apartment habitable. There has to be a better way.

I've got a rocket ready for priming and painting. It doesn't need to have a museum-quality finish. I don't plan on flying it a million times either. Is there a recommended low-VOC or acrylic paint that I could use?

Monokote trim and Mylar tape have worked well for me as paint alternatives. Nose cones are a bit tricky.

I saw a thread here where a fellow was getting very good results hand painting (with a brush) acrylic paints. I don't find it at the moment, but perhaps that is an option.

I have been known to spray small projects in the sunroom (cold in winter), and immediately bring it in and put on the stovetop - turn on the exhaust fan for a while. May not work with rockets though.

I have some Mission Model paints. They are intended for plastic models and that is how I use them. However, a friend of mine has used them on rockets with excellent results. They WILL bring out minor flaws, so you need to prep your rockets much more than when using rattle cans.

They can be brushed on with really good brushes, but they are better airbrushed. They have have almost no odor. They are considered premium paints and are a bit pricey. Randy at eRockets sells them.

Airbrush. You can do all your painting indoors with it.
Yes, but use a particulates mask for sure. Nobody should breathe the rainbow. I paint with airbrush in my basement (using CO2 ok instead of a pump) , but always use a mask. Just because the paints don't stink, some folks think it is safe to breathe the overspray, and it's not. I'm talking about createx type paints.

Last edited:
Agreed, the particulates aren't particularly good for your lungs.

Airbrush acrylics. You don't have to be an artist to spray solid colors. I built a little booth in the basement with a bathroom exhaust fan. Not for use with solvents ;) Your rockets will be a lot lighter too. Also, they're dry to the touch within minutes.

Back