Best method to cut ply?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just picked up one of these:

https://www.harborfreight.com/17-inch-toolbox-saw-97287.html

Two things make it good for cutting balsa/ply strips; 1) it has a *very* thin kerf, 2) it has fleam cut teeth. The teeth are like little knives. There is no set to them (they don't bend sideways away from the blade). This lets you cut right against a guide without cutting into the guide. Something like a piece of aluminum angle clamped onto the edge of a board with the stock to be cut sandwiched between, works well.

What's the most accurate and efficient way to cut 1/8" to 3/16" ply for a glider fuselage? I'd imagine using a utility or hobby knife would take forever and burn up a lot of blades, and I don't have any power saws (which would probably splinter/tear up thin ply like this). I'm new to this so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

You might want to see if a high school or college near you has a laser cutter that they would let you use. Makerspaces often have these as well. My company bought one a couple of years ago and I have access to it so I cut a lot of fins, centering tubes, etc. for my son’s high school rocketry team.

What's the most accurate and efficient way to cut 1/8" to 3/16" ply for a glider fuselage? I'd imagine using a utility or hobby knife would take forever and burn up a lot of blades, and I don't have any power saws (which would probably splinter/tear up thin ply like this). I'm new to this so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cut too big with a saw and then sand to size. It'll take a little while by hand but it'll be worth it in the end. You could always go get a couple of power saws, and yes, they'll cut 1/16" plywood.

For fins, and I use 6mm aircraft-birch (think it's 5-ply), I use a band saw for cutting plywood - LOTS of teeth and a consistent path of travel of the blade...

For fins, and I use 6mm aircraft-birch (think it's 5-ply), I use a band saw for cutting plywood - LOTS of teeth and a consistent path of travel of the blade...
I second the bandsaw! Cuts cleanly on any thickness plywood...mine was built in WW2...still works great

Even 1/8" and 3/16" modeling ply?
Absolutly! My bandsaw has a replacable center hole cover the the blade passes through that is plastic, flush with the table and has no gap alongside the blade...the blade travels downward so you don't get any ripping of the edge of the plywood....like you do with a jigsaw......cheap bandsaws are a pain...good ones are wonderful

Back