Best Hobby Knife Blade for Cutting Circles in Dense Cardboard?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockrwood

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have had trouble cutting a nice, round circle, even with a template, when using a standard straight hobby knife blade. I have some weird curved blades, as well as some “chisel” type blades, but never use them. Is one of them good for cutting circles in dense cardboard?

D947915D-6BA6-4634-A311-4DC851EAF091.jpeg

As Micromeister would point out, a sharp blade used t make multipe light passes does the best job.

I prefer #11 blades (the most common), of couse a circle cutter tool goes a long ways toward making nice rings. Freehand cutting not so much.

I have this thing, but it struggles when I try to cut really small diameter holes, such as BT-20 and BT-5 sized holes in this dense cardboard.

Hmm. For BT-5 sized holes, maybe a steel punch is the best way to go? What is BT-5 in inches?… 0.541 inches in outside diameter. A 1/2 inch punch plus a little sanding…

1DC43D77-5655-44AE-B740-674A25FC93C6.jpeg

I have this thing, but it struggles when I try to cut really small diameter holes, such as BT-20 and BT-5 sized holes in this dense cardboard.
I struggle to use a similar device to cut small circles (BT-20 size, for instance) in thick cardboard/wood fiber material. For me, the biggest problem is the plastic bending during the circle cut resulting in a circle that's smaller (usually) than what it should be.

Do you have that same problem?

Someone recommended this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005J0XKS...colid=LN5BTAHVSM73&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
I haven't used it, but maybe it's worth a try?

It's not that my current cutter doesn't work. It's that I'll have to cut out 2-4 circles to get one that is my intended size.

I have one of those things. I have struggled with it, never happy with the results. my freehand is better! terrible.

Sometimes I use my chop saw. I know that seems a little heavy handed, but it works! Just cut slow, let the blade do it’s thing.

It seems most people, including me, like the standard #11 hobby knife blade for most tasks. What are those other blades used for?

yes, I wonder that, too. anyone?

I bought one of those kits and couldn't figure out any of the blades. bought a 100 pack of #11s and never looked back.

If you find yourself cutting circles often and are feeling lucky, look for an AllPax Gasket cutter on ebay, garage sales, or your grandpa's garage. I use it to cut chipboard discs and large circles of kraft paper to make cones.

PSX_20220727_201903.jpg

Last edited:
I have had trouble cutting a nice, round circle
It is hard to cut through thick cardboard. I tried making some rings last year starting with some cardboard that I had glued together to make it thicker. It took many passes and by the time I had cut all the way through the edges were somewhat frayed. I actually cut most of the way through one side then turned it over and cut the rest of the way through from that side.
The next time I was doing this I cut rings out of thin cardboard first, then glued those rings together to make thicker cardboard.
Many years ago I built some midpower rockets using thicker cardboard tubes sold by LOC Precision. When I cut slots in those I used a thin razorsaw (straight cuts). If I had to cut circles out of those thick walled tubes I don't know what I would have done.

Another issue I have with those "compass"-like circular cutters is that the disc I get has an angle to it, so that one side has a bigger diameter than the other.

For me, it's best to just cut out a circle that's a little bit bigger than what I need, then sand it down with a sanding block. Next I use sandpaper and a drill to rotate the discs and smooth out the edges. It's tedious, but it works.

Attachments

• 20220727_215123.jpg
    20220727_215123.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 0
I have had trouble cutting a nice, round circle, even with a template, when using a standard straight hobby knife blade. I have some weird curved blades, as well as some “chisel” type blades, but never use them. Is one of them good for cutting circles in dense cardboard?

View attachment 529855
Might want to consider a scroll saw. A lot faster and dense cardboard can be almost as tough as light ply when using a knife.

Where do I get said large circle leather punch?
Any Leather Supply Company. Tandy, Weaver, Springfield, C.S. Osborne. General Tools makes a set for about $75 on Amazon. If I ever have the money I'll be buying one. If you don't know how to polish so they don't stick, check out Springfield Leather Company's You Tube Page for their video on sharpening. I think it's a must see for everyone because it address everything from an X-Acto blade to Kitchen Knives.
You can also circle die sets on Ebay, Amazon, Etsy. Etsy has a few suppliers that have them mounted in wood to make life easier.
I was looking at a 4" for my own coaster blanks and it was only $20.
But if you just do a search for Heavy Duty Leather Punches I'm sure you'll find what you are looking for.

I have tried hole saws like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Drill-Bit-Extractor-Porcelain/dp/B07VPVT17W
You can find them in all sorts of sizes and they are kind of cheap, so it isn't too much of a financial issue to try a bunch of them out. I have only tried them on a drill press, so I can't report on how well they work freehand. These also come in handy for drilling holes in tubes.

Back