Battery issue - LiPo sensing connector

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
This is related to my R/C car battery, but I figured I'd ask here as it is a basic 'connector issue' and wonder what others would suggest.

I have an R.C car battery: Fullymax 2S 7.4 3500mAh (30C). and every time I go to recharge it, my charger (B6-V2 gold) blinks 'disconnect'. My fix is to remove each connector from the little connector housing & file / poke /bend / pry the metal pin / contactor of the 3-pole sensing connector to get it to make contact.. I seem to need to do this each & every time I want to charge the #$%^& battery! The pins are starting to show their wear & tear after repeated pokes, removals & re-insertions..

Was this little connector the wrong sort for this type of application?
Am I experiencing some kind of corrosion or oxidation on the metal pin / socket? (I assume so) If so, any way to eliminate it or mitigate it?

Do others have the same issue as I have with their LiPos?

I have never seen this. The LiPos I use all have two connectors: the charge connector and a balance connector and both seem to have a positive connection with the charger wires.

My charger has a bunch of wires/connectors. I've only ever used the JST connector all my LiPos seem to use. Maybe the R/C car batteries use a different connector and there is a better fit with one of the other options?

Am I experiencing some kind of corrosion or oxidation on the metal pin / socket? (I assume so) If so, any way to eliminate it or mitigate it?

'Dielectric grease' would usually be applied if fretting corrosion or oxidation exists at the terminals.
You could also replace the terminals. Need correct crimping and terminal release tool.
May also be a mechanical "pin grip" issue if re-seating or movement of the connector changes its state.

The JST XH series connectors should have a reasonable life. I would expect in excess of 200 insertions easily.

You could get some new pins and receptacles on the interweb and re-terminate the connections. Very inexpensive. I recommend doing one at a time so you have less chance of shorting things out.

I do enough of these to purchase a cheap crimper. It works quite well and is a lot cheaper than the JST tool:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Crimper...mm-Pin-Crimp-Plier-Tool18-28AWG-/184626201831It also does a lot of the other hobby/RC related pins.

I also like the idea of grease to prevent corrosion. I use Electrolube CG53 personally.

It is probably a bad connector on one side or the other. If you have multiple batteries, that may diagnose the charger or the pack. Or just replace both sides. You can also buy pre-wired balance plugs and just splice in the replacement instead of buying the crimp tool. Either way, no it's not normal. I've used lipos in lots of different hobby applications and those connectors should last a looooong time before ever needing replacement.

I have an old HobbyKing charger that's exactly the same layout as this (B6-V2 gold) one- just different colours basically. Maybe there's nothing in common under the hood, but FWIW: One particular peculiarity I've found (maybe it's standard - I dunno) is that if you want to balance charge a battery, you need to connect both the balance JST connector *and* the main power lines to the charger - otherwise it issues a disconnect alarm. Took me a while to figure that out when I 1st purchased it. Anyway... worth mentioning.

TP

Hi all,

thanks for the replies! I'm a little 'battery knowledge deficient'.. just can't seem to get my head wrapped around the proper charge & discharge rates & proceedures..

Yeah, only one battery; this one. other LiPo (and NiCAds) no issue!

Yeah, was hoping not to need to buy tools & pins. (Although I've done my fair share of Molex, Amp, Amphenol, etc.. connectors!)

The grease is a great solution! now, to find some locally!!

Yeah, the Blue & Gold, I think they accidentally got a shipment of their cases / heatsinks in gold in stead of blue, and thought it a great marketing opportunity! And yes, you need to plug the sensing connector in to charge, otherwise it don't work!

Back