Bat S*@#$ Crazy. Bats are roosting on my porch!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure why just started, but we now have bats roosting on the stone edges of our covered porch and some of our eaves. I don’t have anything against bats but they poop on our porch floor. They aren’t there during the day, I have seen a few at night. They are not there in daytime, so I guess they sleep daytimes somewhere else. Looks like they use the porch for either a siesta or a potty break at night. Peppermint spray seems to have put them off.
things I have thought about.
leaving brighter lights on?
wind chimes?
plexiglass along the top six inches (so they can‘t grab on, although I guess they could just grab on BELOW the plexiglass.)
putting up a bat-house on the other side of the driveway to give them an alternative spot.

anybody got any success stories?

I would absolutely love to have bats flock around here. Eating those d**n mosquitoes that eat SWMBO alive (apparently I just don't taste as good). She actually built a bat house that unfortunately did not attract any bats.

Someone with more bio or eco knowledge than me: are bats a protected species and (largely?) immune from being told "You can't roost here, fella/gal."

just wait till this big boy shows up on your porch :eek:
Ldbpqhs.jpg

Depending on where you’re located the bats should move on as the weather gets colder - they’re going to look for an enclosed space to hibernate in over winter. After they leave you’ll need to do some serious cleaning to get rid of their marking scent pheromones or next spring they could be back. Putting up some bat boxes away from the house might just be tempting enough that they’ll move in and let you get the porch and eaves cleaned up to discourage returning.

Now if you live far enough south that bats are active year round you’ll probably need to contact a wildlife removal/relocating service. All joking aside and as useful as bats are, you really don’t want to share living space with them!

I have a similar situation as you. Seems like one or two bats take a break in the middle of the night in my barn. The poop is in the same place, so they roost in the same spot. There is a pulley hanging from the rafters at that spot. I wonder if they are clinging to it. By daybreak, they moved on to somewhere else.

The barn is not heated, so hopefully they won't be around in winter.

I recently read where a woman in Geelong (Australia) was bitten on the head by a bat. The bats there don't carry rabies (or COVID), but carry Lyssa. She has to undergo a long series of shots. If she misses one, she has to start over. BTW, this was a big bat - a flying fox - the size of a small dog, not one of the over-ambitious mice we have.

Oops, she was *from* Geelong, and was bitten in Cairns.
(can't edit from this phone)

Back