Balloon rides to the edge of space.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The article (well, headline) says the altitude is 30 miles. The internationally recognized edge of space, the Karman line, is 100 km, about 62 miles. The US Air force used to use their own definition (do the still?) at 50 miles. So this balloon falls well short of the "edge of space".

If money were not a factor, I'd do it in a heartbeat. 30 miles is well into the Space Equivalent Zone and I have a life long goal to fly in as many different kinds of aircraft as I can.

The article (well, headline) says the altitude is 30 miles. The internationally recognized edge of space, the Karman line, is 100 km, about 62 miles. The US Air force used to use their own definition (do the still?) at 50 miles. So this balloon falls well short of the "edge of space".

Agree
30 miles is closer to the dirt than to space.

M

If money were not a factor, I'd do it in a heartbeat. 30 miles is well into the Space Equivalent Zone and I have a life long goal to fly in as many different kinds of aircraft as I can.
Fun Goal! I've been in commercial jets, general aviation prop planes, helicopters, and gliders... I'd love to add balloons, rockets, (WWII) warbirds, cargo, fighter jets,and hybrid aircraft to that...

As far as rockets, I've got plans to do that (postmortem), just hopefully not anytime soon.

I've been in commercial jets, general aviation prop planes, helicopters, and gliders... I'd love to add balloons, rockets, (WWII) warbirds, cargo, fighter jets,and hybrid aircraft to that...

So far I have been in different medical helicopters, a corporate helicopter, GA prop planes, jump seat of a twin prop cargo plane, and a hot air balloon. Surprisingly, I haven't flown commercial. I have some leads on getting in a gyrocopter, glider, and an open cockpit biplane. I have sat in an F4 on a tarmac, but haven't been up in a fighter jet. I'm not sure how I will accomplish that. I also have a dream to go for an aerobatic ride in a Pitts. A local FBO offers aerobatic rides in a Super Decathlon, so I might settle for that too. Last, I have an invite for a tandem skydive with a team we do pyro for and finally got the blessing from my wife to jump with one of them strapped to me.

I flew some aerobatics in an L-39 a while back. That was a buzz. Handled very nicely, but then again I don't have much to compare it to except some of the big airline simulators I have flown.
Aero_L-39_Albatros-001.jpg
By NJR ZA - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=3414106

Did some aerobatics in a Tiger Moth decades ago. That was fun too, but I wasn't on stick for that flight.

As for a balloon flight to 30km, that would be great, but the price would need to be considerably cheaper.

Last edited:
So far I have been in different medical helicopters, a corporate helicopter, GA prop planes, jump seat of a twin prop cargo plane, and a hot air balloon. Surprisingly, I haven't flown commercial. I have some leads on getting in a gyrocopter, glider, and an open cockpit biplane. I have sat in an F4 on a tarmac, but haven't been up in a fighter jet. I'm not sure how I will accomplish that. I also have a dream to go for an aerobatic ride in a Pitts. A local FBO offers aerobatic rides in a Super Decathlon, so I might settle for that too. Last, I have an invite for a tandem skydive with a team we do pyro for and finally got the blessing from my wife to jump with one of them strapped to me.
If we're adding sitting in aircraft, then I can add a number of F-111Es a handful of EF-111As and a pair of B-52s

Balloon flying is like low & slow model rockets, except it's high & slow and you're in it.

I would't pay $125,000 to ride one but if the industry takes off, it will be interesting to follow and for some people to work in.

Latest posts

Back