Bad Boy Rocketry (BBR) Panavia Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdjsky01

Kim's Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
While I am slogging through glassing the fins on the Deuces 29, I thought I'd put another build pile object in motion.

A while back I bought this kit from BBR. I read it is a clone of a SPEV kit Estes had on their site when blowing out the PS-IIs during the Hobbico fiasco.

It'll be box stock except
Adding an Estes 29mm retainer
Adding a payload bay for Eggtimer electronics should I want to have them ride along. I am using the existing parts so the size is not changing.

Parts is Parts and they are very good quality. Very pleased. You'll need to supply a chute (I have a million of them) and some sort of shock cord attachment.

IMG_2361.JPG

Last edited:
Here is the motor mount ready to go. The heat shrink tubing is something I read about on TRF. Something I have not done before. The screw eye is supplied by me and you see has another piece of wood backing it up.

IMG_2362.JPG

This is the coupler. I took some of the original and joined the bottom and the now shortened upper. The rest is here and there is a BBR bulkhead (not supplied in the kit) glued in. Next will be to drill this for a screw eye and wiring. I most likely won't use the lugs going with rail buttons instead. (yeah its time to replace that cutting mat. How so you all keep yours so pristine?)

IMG_2363.JPG

Last edited:
Dry fit to make sure the ring marks are correct.
I am using wood glue for the motor mount. The motors this rocket will use require nothing else.
The dry fit was to make sure I could feel the TTW tabs rubbing on the MMT
.Panavia-00006.JPG

With the motor mount glued in using wood glue, the fins had a bead of epoxy placed on the roots and were held with this Estes fin guide. I got the guide from a complete and utter RIP OFF on an eBay lot where the 'person' wound up charging me for... ah forget it... an old wound... needless to say this was one of the few items usable.
Panavia-00007.JPG

Filet of fillets. 30 minute hobby epoxy. The only reason I did not use wood glue is it shrinks and leaves gaps/bubbles. A rocket using wood and paper and using E to G impulse does not need epoxy anywhere. However I used it on the fillets because of shrinkage. And on the payload bay coupler to prevent premature grab - what...??? NO... No I mean the coupler freezing... get your mind out of the gutter. :)

Panavia-00011.JPG

Not much left to do before sanding and priming.
Install rail buttons.
I have to drill the holes for the wiring to the payload bay and install a screw eye.
After that, a quick check of the CG to see if I need nose weight with a H128 (the max I plan to launch this with - and that would be MAX)

Look... its 3FNC. I am not an Estes fanboy. Indeed I did not know this SPEV model existed until looking at BBRs offerings. I have a built Ventris witch is much cooler. Who does not love a transition!

Panavia-00012.JPG

Now to think about finishing. Not gonna be the green white yawner I see online. Could be green and white, but something has to happen beyond that. Wish I had a clue how to use OpenRocket to EASILY simulate looks.

Last edited:
Maybe I got lucky. But some months ago I order some 2 inch and 2.5 inch tubing with a transition or three and some nose cones. And I had BBR make me some bulkheads and CRs.

Scratchers to be. But so many other builds...

Two coats of primer. Rusto Auto filler primer.

Now what to paint it? Not that boring stock design???? Or yes? Do I even have green paint?
Maybe go with white and then floro red and yellow?

Panavia-Primer-00001.JPG
Panavia-Primer-00002.JPG

Back