Attic ladders, advice and recommendations needed please

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfjustin

Reaction score
Need to install an attic ladder access, 10' garage ceiling, opening is approximately 30" by 60". Seems fairly straightforward for install, but wanted to see if anyone has any recommendations on ladder brand or type as well as any tips or tricks for installation. Budget is very flexible.

Thanks!

I don’t care how much you weigh, get the 300# (type 3?) model. The strongest you can find. They are shaky to begin with. Brand probably doesn’t matter, just get top of the line

Yup. Mine is rated to 350 lb, if I remember. Wouldn't want less. It's all just built sturdier and seems destined to last a lot longer than the rickety old unit I took out. I'm ~225 lb. A contractor carrying equipment up there is probably exceeding the load rating.

Supervise the installer. The jackholes who did mine cut the ends of the legs unevenly, so I have to shim one side to keep them evenly supported. Pretty annoying.

Need to install an attic ladder access, 10' garage ceiling, opening is approximately 30" by 60". Seems fairly straightforward for install, but wanted to see if anyone has any recommendations on ladder brand or type as well as any tips or tricks for installation. Budget is very flexible.

Thanks!

Will you be the only one using the access?
How often will you be using the access?
If it's a once a month a most thing, you might just look into a nice 9 foot step ladder.

If you want a pull down style Ace sells a Louisville Everest brand metal pull down ladder rated to at least 350 pounds. I do not suggest wooden ladders

We have a wooden ladder (older house). Get metal. [Need wobbly-legs imoji here]

Otherwise I conditionally agree with @3stoogesrocketry; a stepladder is a lot less work if access is very infrequent. However...lugging/pushing a heavy load up a stepladder and lugging it up a ladder that's attached at the top are very different activities with different degrees of stability. If you expect to push-n-shove some heavy things...either attached ladder&door, or rope and pulleys. (The latter isn't a bad idea anyway, a lot less stress on the legs and back.)

I have a Werner aluminum ladder. Very similar to the Louisville ladder, though I think the Louisville rating goes up to 350 pounds. I have been very satisfied with mine. Four comments: 1) make sure whatever ladder you get has a handrail on one side, near the top. You will use this a lot. 2) Mine has an exposed hook on the outside lip of the free end, I have a wood pole with a big screw eye on the end to catch the hook and pull the ladder down. This beats a rope pull, which you will find annoying and perpetually in the way. I think my hook and eye system came with my ladder. 3) Consider mounting a hand rail or hand grip inside the opening or above the opening somewhere for safety as you get on and off the top of the ladder. 4) Note that the Werner ladder has springs and the Louisville has pistons. The pistons will give up the ghost at some point and need to be swapped out. The springs just keep on ticking...

I have installed a few over the years. The Louisville looks pretty good with the bottom of the legs adjustable so no worries about cutting it wrong. I see Homers has a steel one 30" wide but is only rated at 350#. I have not seen the steel ones in person but I do like the extra width. It doesn't look like it has the adjustable legs but an experienced carpenter should be able to get it right.

Back