As for TRIPOLI Australia,

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew scott

Reaction score
Ok I said it's a long story but I'm keeping this short
Saturday 29th of July was a scheduled public club launch.

Got up 5:30 AM go on the web, check the Tripoli Australia web page to see if the launch day was still GO.

It is a whole day trip, with 6 hours of round trip driving, to attend the launch day.
Checking at 6: 00, 6: 30, 7:00, and at 8:00, the web page remained unchanged: the day was ON.

Left home at 8:30, got to Bendigo at 10: 30, arrived at the launch site at 11:30 and guess what, no one there and no sign to say why not .

So back in the car, angry enough to go into orbit, and, off we go back to Bendigo.

Stop at hungry Jacks, and bump into the family!!!!

I'm keeping this short

Family dad "so you fly rockets"
Me " yes"
Family dad "you with that tripoli lot ? "
Me "yes"
Let say it's get's a lot more X rated

" f you and your club"
"You shove your club and your rockets up your ---"
Let's say it went down hill from there.
You can see where this is going.
I tried to explain that I have no say in the running of the club.

So back in car, and a quick exit.

After arrival home, I found that the web page had been updated

"
Due to a technical issue an older version of the homepage with an incorrect schedule was presented, our apologies if this caused any inconvenience.

Next launch is scheduled for August 5th and 6th at the Serpentine launch site

Last Updated July 26th, 2006 @ 22:47 "

But check the date the page was modified
Saturday 29 July 2006 at 10:14:57 AM

If someone really wanted to sabotage the sport here in Australia; then, the actions or really non actions in updating the web site is a good way to discourage current and potential new club members from bothering with such a bunch of amateurs.

Someone should really inform, TRIPOLI USA of the sad state of the Tripoli prefecture in Victoria, Australia.
It's bad and going CATO, as we speak.

We Victorians need a new club closer to metro Melbourne.
Is anyone interested? Does anyone have any suggestions?

update this is a copy from the PARC forum

I have been told that we are NOT to talk about Tripoli vic here at all.
I think I should not associate this forum with PARC at all so no one can dictate to me what goes on here.

Dear Paul, on sunday i got a second call from david wilkins at tripoli in vic. to make a long story short. he is not impressed with the slandering that some rocketeers around the country, are giving to tripoli. please do not use the club forum to do this as it gives the club a bad image, and achieves nothing. if you have any issues please direct them to david, he is happy to discuss any queries. rubbishing the tripoli vic. will achieve nothing. at the end of the day, they are a separate body, and are not obligated to help clubs around australia. if you can delete the comments in the forum please do.

cheers frank.......wed. 27/09/06

my reply
So wend we complain about them and it start to hit home, they throw a hissfit at this forum. (parc forum)
well that it, tripoli vic can go jump.

I wil support this forum, parc, qrc, , anyone but them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Hi Andrew,

I'm strictly a low power guy, but I have been trying to get to a Tripoli launch all year. So have some friends of mine, and these are people with serious amounts of cash to spend on toys. Either I am indisposed, or the launch is cancelled, or some other quirk of fate intervenes to prevent it happening.

Bendigo isn't that far, we do it every month we can to shoot with Bendigio Pistol Club, but if you drive all that way and get nothing for it, then it is a real journey.

Disappointments like a cancelled launch that people aren't notified of can sour the whole flight experience. Maybe we need to get together and see what we can come up with.

Low power is easy, the local park is fine. But when you start to step up, things are more difficult. I'm looking at a friend's father's farm in Hurstbridge for D and E stuff, but even getting that happening is harder than expected. I -may- have something coming up for larger motors, and I have been saying that for a while now, but it is hard when I don't have any experience of what mid and high power people need. I haven't even seen a high power launch.

There are a few of us in Melbourne. Let's get together and try to nut something out.

I am not sure what other clubs do, but at CMASS we have a number we can call that has a recorded message with the state of the launch on that particular day.

The message is current as of 8am on the morning of the launch. It's a great system and has worked for years.

All it takes is one member (who *knows* the launch status) to put that message on their machine and NOT answer the phone for the rest of the morning. Then publish that number on the web with strict instructions that it is only good after a certain time.

fwiw... :)

jim

AT CATO w also have a launch hotline with an answering machine that gives go/no-go and is accurate at 7AM on launch day.

A side benefit is when someone calls on a perfect flying day and asks if we are gonna cancel I get to mock them until I leave. :p

Originally posted by SARocketMan
I know it's to late now, but always call and hear YES WE ARE ON.

A) I am probably going to join Tripoli Australia anyway.
B) Have a look at their website and tell me how you contact anyone about anything (like membership), let alone ring them on the day if all you want to do is attend and are not a member. They are like a secret society. The one exception has been David, who is very friendly, but you won't find him from the TRA.au site. https://www.tripoli.org.au
C) They had the "technical error, wrong page loaded, our next is launch is on xxxx" excuse when I looked at their site in June. They sure do have a lot of technical errors when loading their schedule.
D) Everyone, including yourself, says that there aren't any HPR motors in Australia. Where are the TRA guys getting theirs for their commercial days?

I have no beef with them, but rocketry in Australia is on the rise. It would be nice as the only Australian representation of a large governing body if they did a little more to help out. TRA.au intrigue me. :)

Andrew - were the family just another group of interested fliers/observers that got stuffed around like you? How on Earth did you both make the connection about rocketry? It was hard to tell from what you posted.

Originally posted by andrew scott
We Victorians need a new club closer to metro Melbourne. Is anyone interested? Does anyone have any suggestions?
G'day fellas, I'm with Andrew on this one. We Melburnians definitely need a metropolitan based rocketry club or association as from what I've seen of the website, Tripoli comes across as a real drag and Serpentine is a hell of a distance to travel for anything other than mid-high power launches.

Why don't us blokes here in Melbourne get together to scout for some nice launching sites and hopefully we can take things further from there? Found a nice bit of info from the Hiflyte Club in SA for setting up a club:

https://users.chariot.net.au/~hiflyte/rcstart.html

Just my 2 cents worth fellas, could be worth considering.

Cheers ...... Pete

Agreed. We need a sizeable, -legal- field to fly on. Let's get a list together.

I nominate Andrew's back yard. If we move the BBQ we can launch Micro Maxx stuff there EASY...

OK, seriously. We do need somewhere.

Hi Matthew

A)
If you want to join Tripoli Australia, you first have to Tripoli in the US.

B)
To contact anyone in the Tripoli Australia go to the Tripoli US web site and find the club button on the page. Click on Australia, click on launch Ad. The contact info is there.

C)
Go to their web site, you see at the end of the page is " Last Updated July 26th, 2006 @ 22:47 " now if you are using Netscape click on view, then click on page info, look in General and you will see, modified on Saturday, 29 July 2006 10:14:57 AM.
So how can this be a error when the page is modified on the Saturday ??

D)
As far as I know David is one with a permit to bring in HRP motors.
But quot me on that.

I have no beef with them, but if you organise to Tele the inner circle of club members, (which I am not in) that it's not on, and not Joe public.

Yes rocketry in Australia is on the rise.
But do we need a group that has no interest in supporting new members.

The family were just a group of observers that where out for a day's fun.
The kids saw my rockets in the back of the car, plus I was wearing my EMRR shirt

Agreed. We need a sizeable, legal field to fly on.

I use to fly down at Sydney Pargeter Recreation area 10 years a go.
Move the BBQ, it went 6 years.
Back yard? No I have a courtyard and can launch Micro Maxx in there easy. Make shore that it dos's land in the fish pond.
I'm flying down at Albert Park Lake, some good spots there.

Tripoli comes across as a real drag it's not a drag it's being let down by incompetent Tripoli Australia club management.

So why don’t we meet down at lake wot do you say to that.

I'm flying down at Albert Park Lake, some good spots there.

So why don’t we meet down at lake wot do you say to that.

Sounds good. Pick a date.

Not this weekend for me though, I have Census Collector duties
:eek:

Not the census o no not census arrrrr the census:D :D

ok down at the lake it is, on a saturday ok?

Not the census o no not census arrrrr the census:D :D

ok down at the lake it is, on a saturday ok?

Remember, September 19th is International Talk Like A Pirate Day.

Sundays are better for me and the kids, but I could be tempted to go fly on a Saturday :p

Originally posted by jflis

All it takes is one member (who *knows* the launch status) to put that message on their machine and NOT answer the phone for the rest of the morning.
jim

Not answer there phone I bet they love that.:)

G'day skippy-2

Sundays are better for me and the kids, but I could be tempted to go fly on a Saturday

Why don't us blokes get together down at lake on sundays,
cool with me. :cool:

wend can you make it?
and at what time do we start the show ?

I'd definitely be available for a gig like that.:cool: Just send me a PM if a launch or so at the Lake is a go.

P.S - If youse mean the area where the footy oval is behind the sports centre, near the light rail line.... I've been considering that area myself for a launch!!!:cool:

Cheers ...... Pete

How doeas the 13th look for everyone? I should have my 24mm Fat Boy completed by then too... :p

What areas of the lake are available to us? What time oif day is good. Bear in mind it is Sunday, so crowbaring teenagers out of bed takes a while...

The kids saw my rockets in the back of the car, plus I was wearing my EMRR shirt

Cool! I wore mine at NYPower last weekend!

Nick

I'm currently on my four RDO's so I might just head out to the Lake in the next couple of days, do a bit of a recce. I'll definitely join in if there's a gig on the 13th. Hopefully my Quest Area 51 UFO rocket kit will have made it here from the U.S by the 13th, otherwise I'll only have my Estes Sky Writer and Quest Triton-X (my remaining rockets) on-hand that day!!!:eek: Highly unlikely my Semroc BatRok and Astrobee kits on order will make it to Australia from Semroc by that time.

Oh well, feel free to send me a PM once we got some of the nitty-gritty finalised.

Cheers ...... Pete

Sounds good. Should we start a new thread in 'Events' and see if we can get any more Melburnians interested?

Originally posted by skippy-2
Should we start a new thread in 'Events' and see if we can get any more Melburnians interested?
We definitely should post a new thread in 'Events', there may be Melburnians visiting the forum who aren't members but who may have rockets of their own and wish to join in on a Lake gig. You or Andrew willing to do the honours starting a new thread in 'Events' Skippy? (I'm just a Klingon) :kill:

I'll send you a PM with my contact details Skippy.

Cheers ...... Pete

P.S - I've got a Quest Aries on its way to Melbourne from WA as of today. Hopefully I'll have four rockets on-hand before the 13th.:D

The 13th is good of me, we meet at my place, is that ok?
Skipp2 you have my address and phone number?

Yes we should start a new thread in 'Events' "meet at the lake" is that ok
I send Motorhead a pm with my address and phone number.

Crowbaring teenagers out of bed? Use a G motor that will get them up and going. :p

The 13th is good of me, we meet at my place, is that ok?
Skipp2 you have my address and phone number?

Yes we should start a new thread in 'Events' "meet at the lake" is that ok
I send Motorhead a pm with my address and phone number.

Crowbaring teenagers out of bed? Use a G motor that will get them up and going. :p

Yep, I have the address and phone. Nothing, but nothing gets a teenager out of bed before they are ready to surface. If they miss out they'll regret it!

Anyone heard from Aussie Bloke (Clive) recently?

Back