Apogee Flying Machine, who's got one?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That number seemed low to me, but my memory isn't perfect, so I just counted.
On the rocket & boosters - 1,604
On the matching stand - 136
Total - 1,740 !

Plus there were a few I had to remove when I realized they interfered with the rod. I think I took 2 off and repositioned 2, but I won't split those hairs.

Bottom line - I'm just a little bit nutz! 😵

And that still gives me a few remaining! 😁

Actually, my wife built a V-2, but dressed it up a bit, using some rivets:

Attachments

• IMG_20230830_174906_kindlephoto-1758146513.jpg
    IMG_20230830_174906_kindlephoto-1758146513.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230830_174919_kindlephoto-1758126308.jpg
    IMG_20230830_174919_kindlephoto-1758126308.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 0
That number seemed low to me, but my memory isn't perfect, so I just counted.
On the rocket & boosters - 1,604
On the matching stand - 136
Total - 1,740 !

Plus there were a few I had to remove when I realized they interfered with the rod. I think I took 2 off and repositioned 2, but I won't split those hairs.

Bottom line - I'm just a little bit nutz! 😵

And that still gives me a few remaining! 😁

Actually, my wife built a V-2, but dressed it up a bit, using some rivets:
OK.
I only counted the rivets that had to be made, not the pre molded rivets on the plastic canopy and portholes.
Still have some left over puffy paint.
Maybe I'll add rivets to something.
Laters.

OK.
I only counted the rivets that had to be made, not the pre molded rivets on the plastic canopy and portholes.
Still have some left over puffy paint.
Maybe I'll add rivets to something.
Laters.
I didn't count the molded ones either. That would be cheating. 😁 But no matter, it's not a contest. Everyone's looks great, and the variations are interesting to see.

Definitely. I like how you can do this as the basic design just like the box art....and it's beautiful....or you can go ham on it and really trick it out, and it's just as awesome. I need to order some B6-0s and send this thing on her maiden flight soon. Winds in my area are starting to die down, so hopefully I'll get some time out in the field with the kidlings.

Definitely. I like how you can do this as the basic design just like the box art....and it's beautiful....or you can go ham on it and really trick it out, and it's just as awesome. I need to order some B6-0s and send this thing on her maiden flight soon. Winds in my area are starting to die down, so hopefully I'll get some time out in the field with the kidlings.
I saw a guy with one that was all silver, and no rivets. Simple, but it still looked great.

The first time I launched it (on a smaller field) I used A8-0 in boosters and D12-3 or D12-5 for the main. It worked, but didn't go very high. The boosters fell away as soon as it left the rod!😂 (see picture) Since then I use E12 in the main and either B6-0 or C6-0 in boosters, depending on the field size. Just check the burn times and make sure the main is still burning when the boosters eject.

I've been a little tempted to try composite motors, but I'm afraid to since composites don't ignite in the same quick way that BP does.

You could also fly it without the boosters, but what fun is that, right!

Attachments

• DSC_0145_kindlephoto-1802456341.jpg
    DSC_0145_kindlephoto-1802456341.jpg
    586.8 KB · Views: 0
I just finished mine. There are a lot of things I would do differently if I were to rebuild one, but it looks pretty good. If the weather cooperates I hope to launch it this Saturday.IMG_20240312_174151.jpg

Back