APCP Explosive?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
at least for right now, I get a "page can not be found" error message when I try to go to that link

I can tell you this much: there has been a big fuss over APCP for years, and right now our government is nibbling away at the edges of our rights to own, store, and use this material. The ATF people have contradicted themselves in the past by declaring that a material must have a burn rate of "X" inches-per-second before it can be classified as an explosive (model rocketry APCP burns much slower), and then went ahead and called it explosive anyway! There is a lot of activity going on at the national level, Senator Enzi (Wyo) has attempted to pass some legislation giving us some relief, the whole thing is very confusing.

You can find much more info in the old posts on Rocketry Online.

As the url did'nt seem to work I post the item as it is short.
Sorry about that

David
New Hampshire State Police Try To Make APCP Explode & Fail

by John Wickman (posted with permission)

When Paul Robinson, CEO of Animal Motor Works, applied to the New Hampshire State Police Explosives License Division for a "state" storage permit for Ammonium Perchlorate Composite Propellant (APCP) propellant cartridges, the State Police found that APCP didn't fit into any of their assigned explosive categories. Consequently, the State Police decided to conduct their own tests to classify the propellant and asked for Robinson's most reactive propellant. He gave the State Police three APCP propellant grains that were each three inches in size.

In the first test, the State Police put a boosted blasting cap in one propellant grain and initiated the cap. There was no explosion besides the blasting cap. The cap simply scattered pieces of APCP in a five to six foot radius.

In the second test, the State Police wrapped an APCP propellant cartridge with detonator cord. The cord was initiated with no explosion or ignition of the APCP grain. The detonator cord simply cut the APCP grain in half. The State Police then took one of the halves and wrapped that half with detonator cord. Again, the detonator cord failed to ignite the APCP or cause it to explode. It simply cut the half into smaller pieces.

Finally, the State Police took the small pieces from the previous tests and threw them into a small fire. The APCP did not explode but simply burned in the fire. The New Hampshire State Police Explosives License Division was completely satisfied that APCP was not an explosive or blasting agent. Consequently, they granted Paul Robinson a storage permit for his APCP propellant cartridges.

Hi Powderburner.
Yes I got the same result from here but it worked from the address bar. We get a lot of contradictions from our "leaders" over here as well.

David

Back