Anyone Recognize this Circa 1977 Rocket... Enerjet?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoShuGui

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Around 1976 or 1977 I built an egg lofter kit that claimed to go super sonic on what I think was one of the Enerjet "F" motors (arrow below). Not likely that it did, as was the case with many of the day, but I am trying to figure out who made the kit. I believe the kit came packaged with the motor, so it could be Enerjet, but nothing I have found matches it. Closest I can find is the Enerjet Egg Crate, but its fins are not quite right and the body tube below the transition is too long. Flew it once on the "F" sans egg, never to be seen again; but WOW the biggest motor I had used to date. Anyone recognize it?
View attachment 160637

It looks like a Centuri design that I built in the 70's, but I could be wrong.

Around 1976 or 1977 I built an egg lofter kit that claimed to go super sonic on what I think was one of the Enerjet "F" motors (arrow below). Not likely that it did, as was the case with many of the day, but I am trying to figure out who made the kit. I believe the kit came packaged with the motor, so it could be Enerjet, but nothing I have found matches it. Closest I can find is the Enerjet Egg Crate, but its fins are not quite right and the body tube below the transition is too long. Flew it once on the "F" sans egg, never to be seen again; but WOW the biggest motor I had used to date. Anyone recognize it?

This is the super sonic capable rocket I had as a kid. I believe the engines were Enerjet.

https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/77fsi20b.html

Sorry, I was responding to the rocket singles out in the photo - the Estes Camroc Carrier.

The Enerjet Egg Crate is:

https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/enerjet72/72ejet10.html

Ninfinger.org is our friend. I don't recall the Egg Crate being offered with a motor, although they did have a launch set with two motors, Nike Ram, and launch gear. My Enerjet catalogs are not in a handy place.
The FSI Thruster set used a special F100 black powder motor and a special D20 with an extra long delay. The F100 was actually just a big E motor. Don't know if anyone actually got one to go supersonic and could prove it let alone recover it. To the best of my knowledge FSI never offered an egglofter.

Chas

Sorry, I was responding to the rocket singles out in the photo - the Estes Camroc Carrier.

The Enerjet Egg Crate is:

https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/enerjet72/72ejet10.html

Ninfinger.org is our friend. I don't recall the Egg Crate being offered with a motor, although they did have a launch set with two motors, Nike Ram, and launch gear. My Enerjet catalogs are not in a handy place.
The FSI Thruster set used a special F100 black powder motor and a special D20 with an extra long delay. The F100 was actually just a big E motor. Don't know if anyone actually got one to go supersonic and could prove it let alone recover it. To the best of my knowledge FSI never offered an egglofter.

Chas

You are right! The arrow call out that I thought was the egg lofter does look like a Cineroc carrier... Even has the circle fin decal and roll pattern! My memory must be betraying me... Maybe the supersonic model was an FSI Sprint, although I distinctly recall it being a single stage kit with motor included. Also I vaguely recall the motor casing as being black. The instructions had the fin attachment gluing over body tube pin holes; a technique I first learned in that build.

Chas

Mine didn't. It CATO'd spectacularly at about 10ft altitude.

lol, as in the pieces would all fit in your hand, I am betting !

There wasn't much left, that's for sure. I remember one kid was sitting on his bike watching. When the booster exploded, he literally dove horizontally onto the ground. :lol:

One thing, in the late 1960s and early 70s, pretty much everybody in model rocketry, including manufacturers and high-level competitors, spectacularly underestimated the effect of drag on performance (speed and altitude).

I remember doing pencil-and-paper estimates that some of my super-duper rocket designs were going to hit Mach 1, reach a mile in altitude, etc etc, then just saying offhandedly, "maybe I should deduct 10% from those estimates for air drag."

:y::y::lol::lol:

Back