Anyone lose a target drone?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't quite believe the U.S. military is so careless of its property and taxpayers' money.
Oh, hang on a minute, maybe I can.
Surely there are rules about dumping at sea anyway.

They are consumables. Designed for a single use to then crash and sink.

Actually, I asked a friend of mine about that (hes pretty high up in the Air Force). He said that unless they are blown to bits, they do actually recover and repair them or use them for parts. I was kinda surprised at this too:eek:.

The guy might get a thank you letter. That's about it.

And even if he didn't call them, he has no legal right to it. It is US Government property. Just like all of that Space Shuttle debris.

Neither the Coast Guard nor Air Force had any interest in what he found, he said. But the sheriff's office and authorities from MacDill did.

Uh... MacDill IS an Air Force base, so someone in the Air Force musta had some interest.

It's a BQM-167A Skeeter, a subsonic, turbojet-powered unmanned air vehicles utilized as aerial targets and for reconnaissance and electronic countermeasures missions with a unit price of $500,000 to $600,000 when purchased in quantity. A single Microturbo TRI60-5 turbojet powers the Skeeter which can be pre-programmed or operated manually via radio command by a ground controller. This aerial target can carry a variety of target payloads, including radar enhancers, infrared signature generators, and countermeasures and scoring devices. The Skeeter can also tow other targets. Skeeter can be air-launched from suitably modified aircraft or ground-launched with the aid of a solid-propellant jet-assisted takeoff booster. The air vehicle is either recovered via a parachute system or retrieved from the sea. https://www.forecastinternational.com/samples/F661_CompleteSample.pdf

The weather or sea conditions were probably unfavorable for immediate recovery. They have been found before. https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2008/04/airforce_drone_found_041008w/

Bob

While at eglin's field 9, Hurlburt Fld, (bomb dump) in the early 70's, I remember watching the last of the bomarks launched from santa rosa island to be chased by Tydall's fighters. They got some, but missed most. There must be be a lot of ordinance on the gulf floor.

Gary(showing my age)

Latest posts

Back