Anyone here know electromagnetism really well?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That kind of furnace works like the inductive stoves; I worked at a place that had a bunch of 60kW furnaces, all battery backed. Some days that place drew 4MW. I learned a lot. (I'm an analog/vacuum tube engineer.
I was amazed by several things: the cheap crucibles were platinum. and if you hear a suitcase sized tuning capacitor going tink-tink tink Tink. ... you run. :)
"Sort of" like inductive stove. And inductive stove heats the pan and the stuff in the pan in heated by the pan. An induction furnace has a non-conductive "pan" but heats the metal *in* the pan by inducing currents in them.

Many thanks to the assembled brain trust for a fun and informative conversation! It's time for me to sum up what I've learned:

1) A thin round wire behaves as right hand rule dictates
2) A thick round wire also behaves as right hand rule dictates (and we assumed 'of any diameter')
3) A hollow wire - a cylinder - also behaves as right hand rule dictates (we didn't really talk diameter here, I assume it's also 'any')

...did I get it right? Is it that simple?

Back