Anyone else on the central gulf coast hear the sonic boom last night?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donnager

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I was watching a show on medieval cannons and got a pretty good house 'boom'. Checked to see my subwoofer was off and not contributing, and that none of my neighbors were shooting armadillos or sending fireworks.....(I live in the sticks).

I chalked it up to weird volume abberation on Youtube. Turns out, it was SpaceX Dragon coming back in off the gulf coast near Panama City.

If I'd have had any inclination this was going to happen, I'd have been in my driveway waiting to see the streak.

Now that you mention sonic booms, I remember when I was a kid during the mid 1960s
we use to get low flying aircraft here in North Carolina breaking the sound barrier at least
2 to 3 times a week . My cousins visiting for the summer would get the heck scared out of them.

The booms would rattle every window in the house. We locals finally got use to the booms and
would laugh at the out of towners ducking and jumping lol.

Now that you mention sonic booms, I remember when I was a kid during the mid 1960s
we use to get low flying aircraft here in North Carolina breaking the sound barrier at least
2 to 3 times a week . My cousins visiting for the summer would get the heck scared out of them.

The booms would rattle every window in the house. We locals finally got use to the booms and
would laugh at the out of towners ducking and jumping lol.

In the mid 70's to early 80's our sonic booms were mostly caused by the SR-71. We would see it arriving or departing on a regular basis growing up in rural Idaho. If we saw the KC 135Q's in the air we knew to start watching for it.

Back