Anyone adopted a "free" cat

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We just lost one of ours on Monday. We had taken in mommy and her 6 kittens from a firefighter neighbor when mommy had snuck into his garage one day. As he worked weird hours he couldn't take care of them, so they ended up in our garage until we could adopt them out. Got various people to take mommy and 5 of the kittens. We ended up stuck with one of the orange boys - Plato.

Three years go by and we get a call from a guy who adopted one of the other orange cats. He got orders from the Air Force and was only taking his original cat on the move and didn't want to take the one he got from us. Did we want him back or should he take him to the pound? Well, we knew how that would end, so Plato got his brother back; now named Jax.

Plato and Jax hated each other. They mostly got along with the other cats; lots of growling at times, but no serious fights. After a while they just ignored each other.

After a few years we realize Jax has trouble breathing. A chest X-Ray reveals he has asthma. Steroids have too many side effects, so we switch to an inhaler. (look up Aerokat inhalers (they also make them for dogs, horses, etc.)). Big improvement in his quality of life. He was treated twice a day and really didn't fight it. Then we noticed his brother, Plato, had breathing issues. Yup, asthma. He gets treated once a day.

Then maybe a year ago Jax starts having other problems. Turns out he has kidney stones, liver problems, high blood pressure and heart issues. Medication deals with some of it, but the vet says the liver issue is serious and he won't make it another year.

Then 4 or 5 months ago he essentially goes blind. Completely loses sight in one eye and the other is pretty bad. He could see light, but nothing clearly. He got around pretty well but would run into doors once in a while.

He was a daddy's boy and liked to sit on my lap for brief periods.

Then about 5 days ago he quit eating, and we knew it was time to say goodbye.

He is buried on the edge of our prairie. My wife has a bird call ap on her phone and she has detected over 45 species in the last couple of months. The deer and raccoons stop by every night for corn. The wildflowers have started to bloom, and the prairie will really start to pop soon.

We just lost one of ours on Monday. We had taken in mommy and her 6 kittens from a firefighter neighbor when mommy had snuck into his garage one day. As he worked weird hours he couldn't take care of them, so they ended up in our garage until we could adopt them out. Got various people to take mommy and 5 of the kittens. We ended up stuck with one of the orange boys - Plato.

Three years go by and we get a call from a guy who adopted one of the other orange cats. He got orders from the Air Force and was only taking his original cat on the move and didn't want to take the one he got from us. Did we want him back or should he take him to the pound? Well, we knew how that would end, so Plato got his brother back; now named Jax.

Plato and Jax hated each other. They mostly got along with the other cats; lots of growling at times, but no serious fights. After a while they just ignored each other.

After a few years we realize Jax has trouble breathing. A chest X-Ray reveals he has asthma. Steroids have too many side effects, so we switch to an inhaler. (look up Aerokat inhalers (they also make them for dogs, horses, etc.)). Big improvement in his quality of life. He was treated twice a day and really didn't fight it. Then we noticed his brother, Plato, had breathing issues. Yup, asthma. He gets treated once a day.

Then maybe a year ago Jax starts having other problems. Turns out he has kidney stones, liver problems, high blood pressure and heart issues. Medication deals with some of it, but the vet says the liver issue is serious and he won't make it another year.

Then 4 or 5 months ago he essentially goes blind. Completely loses sight in one eye and the other is pretty bad. He could see light, but nothing clearly. He got around pretty well but would run into doors once in a while.

He was a daddy's boy and liked to sit on my lap for brief periods.

Then about 5 days ago he quit eating, and we knew it was time to say goodbye.

He is buried on the edge of our prairie. My wife has a bird call ap on her phone and she has detected over 45 species in the last couple of months. The deer and raccoons stop by every night for corn. The wildflowers have started to bloom, and the prairie will really start to pop soon.
Sorry about your loss.

We try our best to give as much love and care as we can while we have them. Sometimes it's not as long as I like.

All I know to do is care for them the best you can while you have them, and let them care for you the best they can.

Our cats have all been cremated. I do however have a "chicken garden" where all the pet chickens are buried at the back edge of the property in a couple of rows. The wife has made some paver headstones for them that I encased in WestEpoxy to put on the ground to mark them.

I wonder what an archaeologist would say when they find a couple dozen buried chicken skeletons under epoxied plaster headstones with silk scarfs wrapped around them.

So, long story, short version: my son is replacing our master-bath shower. The "boyz" (Merlin & Joey) have decided to inspect the work to date. We think they approve.....

Attachments

• IMG_2471.JPG
    IMG_2471.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2478.JPG
    IMG_2478.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2487.JPG
    IMG_2487.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Biggest problem at my age (55) is I don't want pets I can't take care of. I have 4 chickens (all named--don't get me started), and now, 3 cats. I simply will not take a pet animal and provide it poorly.

I have a couple, or maybe only one more cat(s) in me, but that will be the end of it. I absolutely hate outside cats that run un-monitored.

My inside cats know that the door is a serious thing. Two of my cats don't care. The new one may care. I'll have to be vigilant. Not a big change, I used to have a Bengal cat that would shoot outside the door to play a game of "catch the cat". I had more than one night saying I don't care if I catch this Ahole cat, or not, when he'd get loose. A couple of hours searching through the neighborhood garages gave perspective.

But I searched for him anyway, and gave him treats when I got him back in the house.
Anyone who lets their cat out at night is sentencing their cat to a grewsome death by a coyote. I just don't get it. A lot of those people have been here long enough to know better. Even during the day is not safe. Bad for small dogs too.

This is Emmitt. He was abandoned by his feral mother on our front porch at 4-6 weeks old about 12 years ago.
Those are the best cats. They are so appreciative to have a home. We had our orange Tabby, George, for 14 years until he passed. His Mom abandoned him in the hospital parking lot at work. I watched them for a few weeks until she left him. I opened the door to my car on my way home and he climbed in. He has a tinge of a wild side but he was very loving when he wanted to be. I have scars to prove it. RIP George.

Those are the best cats. They are so appreciative to have a home. We had our orange Tabby, George, for 14 years until he passed. His Mom abandoned him in the hospital parking lot at work. I watched them for a few weeks until she left him. I opened the door to my car on my way home and he climbed in. He has a tinge of a wild side but he was very loving when he wanted to be. I have scars to prove it. RIP George.

At my work property, set back off the road about 1/4 mile, we occasionally have people drop cats and/or kittens over our fence. For the most part, they get killed, usually coyotes. We had one kitten that came into our shop and would sit with my welders while they worked, and beg for scrap food. I told any of my guys that would take this cat home, I would pay for shots, neutering, to get it away from there, because it was nice and I didn't want it to get killed.

One of my guys adopted that cat, named it Twiggy. It's about as well fed as a cat can get, and the welder treats it well. They liked this cat enough they got another one.

At my work property, set back off the road about 1/4 mile, we occasionally have people drop cats and/or kittens over our fence. For the most part, they get killed, usually coyotes. We had one kitten that came into our shop and would sit with my welders while they worked, and beg for scrap food. I told any of my guys that would take this cat home, I would pay for shots, neutering, to get it away from there, because it was nice and I didn't want it to get killed.

One of my guys adopted that cat, named it Twiggy. It's about as well fed as a cat can get, and the welder treats it well. They liked this cat enough they got another one.

Also, for what it's worth, heavy poisoning for rodents will trim your coyote population, not sure if it is poisoning or just a lack of rodents. It, unfortunately, will kill cats, too, so choose wisely.

It's kind of a nuclear option for vermin. I prefer mechanical traps for rodents, and spaying/neutering and relocation for these cats.

We'll be taking the cone of shame off our adopted cat Memorial day weekend and get follow up x rays next week. She should be fine.

Never know, though. I hope she does as well as I could expect.

Emmitt hates most people. He tolerates my daughters but will not let me pick him up. We moved to a new house in October and he wouldn’t even be in the same room as me for months…. But he is a nice cat.

Emmitt hates most people. He tolerates my daughters but will not let me pick him up. We moved to a new house in October and he wouldn’t even be in the same room as me for months…. But he is a nice cat.

That is makings of a great cat!

Poisoned rodents will poison and kill the coyotes and a cat that eats them too. Rat/mouse poison contains a powerful blood thinner and they bleed to death. Not a fast way to go. I don't use any kind of poison only snap traps if I have too. And that's for pack rats.

In my opinion anybody that abuses animals should be horse whipped. If a poor dog has been chained or caged then the owner should get the same treatment. The cruelty and neglect that some people do to their pets and other animals is unbelievable. They are the lowest of low life's. I hope they all burn in Hell.

If you have a feral cat problem contact a cat rescue. We have one here. They helped catch the 4 kittens in our backyard. I volunteered there for a couple of years before I started to feel bad. They trap any and all the cats they find out about. The service is free and they pay for the spay and neuter. The ferals are released where they were trapped. Any kittens go up for adoption. Besides the cat rescue here in Pahrump there a several in Las Vegas. If you have a feral cat problem find a cat rescue for help. They are the nicest people and eager to help.

Poisoned rodents will poison and kill the coyotes and a cat that eats them too. Rat/mouse poison contains a powerful blood thinner and they bleed to death. Not a fast way to go. I don't use any kind of poison only snap traps if I have too. And that's for pack rats.
As I said, poisoning is the nuclear option. That's why I said choose it wisely. There can be collateral damage.

If you know cats at all, you know they can't be bought...
You need to impress them.......at least a little. Just takes a little love and care.

By the way, our broken-leg cat received a good bill of health and good x-rays at 4 weeks post surgery. She's doing very well. Just can't jump on/off stuff. Going to have to partially cage her for another month or so, while she grows her fur back.
Took the cone of shame off her over the holiday weekend.
:):clapping:

Last edited:
Yup 2 me and my friend rescued two kittens and adopted them, we rescued the first kitten, on September 30, 2009 he is a "run of the mill" tuxedo cat, our friend named him Bogart (Bogi for short), sadly he passed away on November 22, 2022, he was sick with CHF and diabetes for a year and half til we knew it was time to put him to sleep and we found him wondering on the side of a road into a field at maybe 3 months old at the time.

The second kitten Lumina (Luna for short), and yes she is name after the Estes Rocket since it was one of the first few rockets I built, she was at my friends porch at her old place, she is a brown mackerel tuxedo tabby, she will be 11 years old this month on her rescue day, which will be the 26th, we rescued her in 2013 and she was maybe 4 to 5 months old at the time.

Back